JVC Receiver

Wolfe64

I have always been on the lookout for a second receiver for my collection and bought this at a second hand store yesterday.

JVC R-K20 Receiver.
145 watts and I got it for $20
It was real dirty but I cleaned it all up and everything works.

Mark

Attachments

• JVC R-K20.jpg
    JVC R-K20.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 111
Nice little receiver. I think it's from around 1983. I bought my girlfriend at the time it's bigger brother, R-X40 receiver.

Good luck with it.

Glenn

I saw the r-x40 yesterday at the local thrift. It was part of a "4 pc set" and was 40. I passed on it.
I just picked up a similar JVC with 5 band eq for 9.99 - super a something ...
Cool.
Srinath.

From 1980 on, almost all the JVC amps & receivers are "Super A".
There's plenty of info on super a and how it works.

Congrats.. Nice buy! They're decent sounding little receivers that came out in 1983. I have the R-K11L (below) that came with a similar styled JVC turntable which is long since gone as it was a rather cheap,low budget affair.. Wish I could still remember the model number though.

paulb010-10.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks Guys
It is a nice piece of equipment and drives my Lloyds 3 way speakers well.
I mainly bought it to use when testing turntables so I don't have to connect it to my main system. This unit can sit on my workbench.

Mark

Does anybody know what kind of lamp it have? Mine has blown and i want that beautiful blue Light back

I always liked that line of JVC products from the early 80s. Very cool and fluorescent looking. I had a KD-D40 cassette deck from that line, which I loved. I currently still own a QL-F300 TT from the same era.

I have always been on the lookout for a second receiver for my collection and bought this at a second hand store yesterday.

JVC R-K20 Receiver.
145 watts and I got it for $20
It was real dirty but I cleaned it all up and everything works.

Mark
Is that not a 30w receiver?

This may or may not help. The R-X40 service manual lists a ELP3104-B100R. It is a 12V 100mA bulb with a blueish 'condom' on it. It is 4.7mm diameter (T1 1/2?). The one you listed above is ELP3104-B100T. Does the schematic have the voltage / mA rating? Does it have a colored 'condom'? I wish I knew how to decode their part numbers.

Can you measure the voltage supplied at the bulb? The R-X40 has a seperate tap on the transformer and supplies 10VAC. I cannot find the manual or schematic for the R-K20.

The R-K10 also uses a 12V 100mA bulb. However it is using a 33 Ohm dropping resistor and using power from the DC power supply.

I would try a 12V 100mA bulb. Measure the voltage while powered up to make sure it is around 10 or 11 volt either AC or DC.

Last edited:
I measured it and it was 13,4 volts dc

And other thing makes me wonder, transformer feels hot, and i have listen music 3 hours ago (it was about 1 hour music session) . Is there something badly wrong?

13.4VDC makes sense. On the R-K10 the voltage is 13.8VDC and dropped with a resistor. Since the bulb is open and your meter is high impedance, you are seeing almost the full 13.8VDC. I don't know about the transformer. How hot is hot? Can you keep your finger on it?

jvc lamp.PNG

Last edited:
Keep in mind that we don't have the actual part number or schematic for your model. I think that bulb will work. I bought some that were listed for GM instrument cluster repair. Most listings do not give the specs though. The ones I bought were listed as 4.7mm 12V 100mA and fit perfectly.

I don't know why the transformer is warm / hot.

Back
Top Bottom