jvc rs 77 this might be the one!!!

cleonjr

ok what is the good and the bad on this one. i always wanted a jayvee, i heard the sea eq was awesome not to mention they are powerful workhorses and built like a tank.. ok anybody have a history with this one or any others for that matter thanx as always,Cleon

Haven't heard that specific model but I've had the lower non-digital RS-33 for a couple of years or so on a set of Polk Monitor 5As and not only does it sound great, I can hardly push the volume slider past 1/5 of the linear scale.

The 77 is even more powerful. These units don't look like much, but boy can they play!

Definitely a keeper!

Enjoy!

cnh2

Thats pretty funny I just picked up a 77 the other day. Only issue was the power level leds were out. I reflowed several solder joints and now they are good to go. I wasen't expecting much but was actually surprised on the sound and power. I had It hooked to some baby advents. FM sounded unexpectedly good. Seems like a pretty cool receiver.

Attachments

• SAM_0111.jpg
    SAM_0111.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 223
You have acquired a GREAT receiver. I've owned mine since new in 1980. It's built like a tank. Back in the day, it survived 6,7, 8 hour parties with 3,4, pairs of speakers blasting. Sounds great, a ton of power, seems like much more than 60 wpc. It runs hot so don't be alarmed by that. Has been that way since new. I've always loved the design of this unit. When I saw it in a stereo store I knew I had to get this one! Got it for my birthday that year from my parents.
It's been in regular use since I got it. I now have it connected to my Mac Pro via DAC for streaming music. I'll never part with it. I'm currently running 3 pairs of KLH's and it sounds incredible!

I bought my daughter the R-S33 for Christmas last year and she loves it. JVC made some great equipment back then.

Cheers, Glenn

Last edited:
thanx guys , GD70,do you know the specs or a site that might have them. i would think jvc would have a good fan base.,back in the day i really wanted one. thanx all,Cleon

I would have gone with the SAE TWO if they are both in the same price range. I love my JVC JA-S77 but I love my A7 better.

well i am watching a sae a-7 two it is he wants 140 and 36 shipping i think that is too much. ithink 100 with shipping is right.,,thoughts

Question concerning a JVC R-S77 ; I have bought 2 in the last 2 years because out of all the receivers that I have owned, this just sounds the best! But, it seems that they have inferior power switches. They crackled when you powered them up and I found replacements on Ebay and installed them. The crackling went away but now sometimes the receiver makes a small popping sound and the protection relay will click on and off a few times then be ok. This happened with both receivers. Does anyone have this experience and possibly know of a remedy?

Question concerning a JVC R-S77 ; I have bought 2 in the last 2 years because out of all the receivers that I have owned, this just sounds the best! But, it seems that they have inferior power switches. They crackled when you powered them up and I found replacements on Ebay and installed them. The crackling went away but now sometimes the receiver makes a small popping sound and the protection relay will click on and off a few times then be ok. This happened with both receivers. Does anyone have this experience and possibly know of a remedy?
I'm thinking if you still have the original switches, open them up and clean them, reassemble and put back into the units, or try one and see if the relay issue goes away. If good, then do the other one.
I've never had the issue you describe.

May or may not help - tighten the screws on the amp board. One is a star ground, and if it is loose or any corrosion, causes similar problems (popping and relay opening.

Thanks for the answers! I had read somewhere else in Audio Karma that for some reason there was a lot of arcing when you turn on the power and that there is some kind of suppression device that can be installed to make the switches last longer, so I'll look into that. Also, did check the amp board screws and some are corroded so they will be cleaned and tightened.

"Super-A" class A? I had an integrated SS amp for many years that ran really hot, but it never caused a problem.

Start out your search by reading US Patent 3,691,427 of Sept 12,1972. The amplifier is a series of direct connected (no capacitors) transistors. Any fault in any transistor results in an amplified fault at the output which would destroy your speakers if not for the cutout relay. I never got to get a service manual for the rs33 but do have for the 77.
I was getting no sound at all until I balanced the initial current flows in the amplifier. I am still searching for the elusive fault component but, I don't give up easily. I like the low background noise. I also have a later class A JVC a RX-809 VTN and it works great. The big problem I have with finding the faulty transistor, it fails intermittently. I will look at solder joints though as suggested. Good luck!

The post-Silver era (1980-83) is actually very interesting. Not quite Silver Monsters and not quite BPC, the shift towards slimmer forms and extra features was in full flight. Many TOTL were quite powerful with hefty transformers though none exceeded 150 wpc. Silver faceplates and wood cases could still be found but looked at adds with digital tuners, micro-switches, and fiddly buttons. The JVC RS77 is a prime example of the transition era. Competitors were Concept 12.0D, Realistic STA-2500, Yamaha R-2000, Kenwood KR-1000, Marantz SR-9000G, Sansui 9900Z, Pioneer sx-3900. Most are still relatively affordable but only time will tell if they become collectable.

Back
Top Bottom