jvc rs 77 this might be the one!!!

I have 1/2 that list, and if you say dead or alive I have 3/4. Concept 12.0, yammie R2000, Marantz sr-9000g and had a Pio SX 3900. My favorite is the Marantz. A close second is the concept 12.0. The Marantz for sound, the concept for its sheer presence.
The Yammie is Dead, and pio is long sold.
Thanks.
Srinath.

How do you rate the MM phono section of the R-S77

I have my eye on one locally

Thanks

Have had one, JVC R-S77 Receiver, for a few months... recapped power supply board and thoroughly cleaned and deoxit with D5 and D100L & F100L where needed.

MM section is adequate to good. Satisfying with mid-level TT & cart of its era

You have acquired a GREAT receiver. I've owned mine since new in 1980. It's built like a tank. Back in the day, it survived 6,7, 8 hour parties with 3,4, pairs of speakers blasting. Sounds great, a ton of power, seems like much more than 60 wpc. It runs hot so don't be alarmed by that. Has been that way since new. I've always loved the design of this unit. When I saw it in a stereo store I knew I had to get this one! Got it for my birthday that year from my parents.
It's been in regular use since I got it. I now have it connected to my Mac Pro via DAC for streaming music. I'll never part with it. I'm currently running 3 pairs of KLH's and it sounds incredible!

I bought my daughter the R-S33 for Christmas last year and she loves it. JVC made some great equipment back then.

Cheers, Glenn
I know its been a long time since you wrote this posting GD70 but I'm wondering how the JVC R-S77 is holding up, I'm still waiting for mine to turn up from Ameria and im reading up as much as can on this receiver, I already own a R-S7 and I am a fan of JVC.

Last edited:
I know its been a long time since you wrote this posting GD70 but I'm wondering how the JVC R-S77 is holding up, I'm still waiting for mine to turn up from Ameria and im reading up as much as can on this receiver, I already own a R-S7 and I am a fan of JVC.
Hey Stephen!

The 77 has held up well, since 1980. Still works perfectly. I put that receiver through the trenches! Through the raucous 80's, and many long loud parties with 3-4 pairs of speakers hooked up to it! Who knew about ohm's! With the abuse I put that receiver through, and it's still working properly 39 years later is a testament to its build quality. It was the TOTL receiver that year.

Cheers, Glenn

I found one at a Goodwill in 2017 for $20. Took it home, cleaned it up and it sounded just fine. I just did not like the looks frankly. So I made a guy really happy when I sold it on CL for $50. I could have got more but what the hell it fun to pay it forward.....and I got to hear what Glenn has heard for so long.

Hey Stephen!

The 77 has held up well, since 1980. Still works perfectly. I put that receiver through the trenches! Through the raucous 80's, and many long loud parties with 3-4 pairs of speakers hooked up to it! Who knew about ohm's! With the abuse I put that receiver through, and it's still working properly 39 years later is a testament to its build quality. It was the TOTL receiver that year.

Cheers, Glenn
Thanks, Glenn, I'm still waiting for it to turn up and keeping my fingers crossed that it's in good working condition but from what you say its a tough one. I'm a terror for buying on impulse.

I found one at a Goodwill in 2017 for $20. Took it home, cleaned it up and it sounded just fine. I just did not like the looks frankly. So I made a guy really happy when I sold it on CL for $50. I could have got more but what the hell it fun to pay it forward.....and I got to hear what Glenn has heard for so long.
I really wish we had goodwill stores in the UK, we have charity shops but they don't sell a lot of electricals as everything has to have a "pat" test to ensure it's safe to use, I have to agree its not the prettiest as the R S-7 is much better visually,

Nice!
Too bad you didn't like it's design, I've always loved it! The beauty of opinion!
Cheers, Glenn

Nice!
Too bad you didn't like it's design, I've always loved it! The beauty of opinion!
Cheers, Glenn

The vinyl side caps were what really bugged me. And you are right, the little dude ran HOT! LOL

So, this was a pleasant surprise...i've arranged to pick up a beautifully cared for rs 77 with a Technics sl-b2( not a d, but another b2 to add to the stock of lower level technics tt's that have come my way over the years).
I will check the mod#, but I got a slightly newer JVC , black w/ orig remote from my local thrift for $4.50(50% off the $9 tag) and, as tiny as it is, I was quite impressed with the stereo tuner overall.
Looks like I'll be able to do a few a b tests now in conjunction with the Technics slb2 one with the Shure cartridge one with the at cart, as well as the difference in approximately 5 years for the receivers

So, this was a pleasant surprise...i've arranged to pick up a beautifully cared for rs 77 with a Technics sl-b2( not a d, but another b2 to add to the stock of lower level technics tt's that have come my way over the years).
I will check the mod#, but I got a slightly newer JVC , black w/ orig remote from my local thrift for $4.50(50% off the $9 tag) and, as tiny as it is, I was quite impressed with the stereo tuner overall.
Looks like I'll be able to do a few a b tests now in conjunction with the Technics slb2 one with the Shure cartridge one with the at cart, as well as the difference in approximately 5 years for the receivers
Nice! Let's see what you got!

Back
Top Bottom