the parts are in so i'm back for an update. Not out of the woods yet but some good updates.

After replacing the bulbs (8v 200ma) and diodes (1000ma 1/4th watt zenner), and repairing the power board it looks like we have a display, the 2nd relay is also clicking!

For the power board i replaced the resistors in the burnt places and because all of those resistors are connected on the same lead i added an extra wire under them just to make sure they were all connected properly. Also replaced the 5.5v .047 F (not uF) Super Capacitor as super caps are known to go bad. Also added a thin layer of epoxy glue to the bottom where copper is exposed to prevent oxidation

I've been busy so i haven't been able to test the sound yet but the dc offset is 30mv and about -16 when i test those two points like you said.

Like i said, i'm not out of the woods yet. If you look at the display, it is very glitchy, in the picture you can see some parts of the LCD not light up as they should. I'm pretty sure this is because the 2 ribbon cables is when you move them around you can see. The display do different things.

image.jpeg
The problem with this is though i'm not sure how to find the right replacement for these cables, i guess you can find some similar things online, but i'm yet to find a perfect match based on the info on the cables, think you can find anything?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
You can see in the post above that the strait ribbon cable has oppisite side contacts. This cable has same side contacts.
Also the one above mesures about 5in by 1.5in and 30 pins

I think this one is 160 mm by 47mm and 37 pins

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The text reads: SUMITOMO-Y AWM 2896 80C VW-1

I think they are called something like ffc cables

ffc cable... LOL

Anyways, you sure it's the cables and not bad solder joints on the PCB? My RX-750V had some problems with the spectrum analyzer. There were some bad solder joints. Got that working but still have some amp problems. I think I have a couple of noisy transistors. I haven't looked at it for a while. Need to start working on it again.

Yep, FFC Flat Flex Cable.

Suppose i could do some reflowing of the joints.

I decided to pull out the headphones and have a listen, and of course with my luck i was not happy with what i heard. The sound is quite distorted. The kind of distortion where when you listen at a very very low volume it may seem ok but when you click the volume up to a listen able level you can here it in both channels. I tested it on cd and the fm tuner. It is with both but seems a bit worse on the cd/aux. not sure if that means anything.

I did notice when i was listing that when i shake the two big massive caps (cant remember what they are called) and press around i do notice that the sound changes from more/less distortion. Sounds to me like some cold solder joints, but could also be something shorted.

Well thanks for pointing out the cold solder joints. I did not get a chance to try reflowing yet, but i looked closly at the lcd board and some of those are definitely disconected.

So i have an update. I previously made a big mistake that resulted in a blown fuse by shorting the large power diodes by the big capacitors but it looks like there was no further damage to the amp. Bought a new fuse and continued work.

I replaced C701 and C702 on the pre driver part of the amp board with the same value caps off of a newer part unit so i know those are not the problem. Started probing around the pre driver but it just seems that i cant find anything definitively wrong. There are a couple resistors that get very very hot quickly on the board but when i pull out the transistors connected to that resistor and test them, they test fine.

I also decided to quickly make an amplifier alignment, but i realized that when i try to adjust the knobs that control the dc offset the knobs have absolutely no effect on the dc offset. Ive made sure i did it correctly and going by EXACTLY what the service manual says but it seems the left channel is stuck on 25mv while the right channel is stuck on -10mv.

I desoldered the 4 big output transistors but it looks like they test fine. Not sure what would be the problem.

I also decided to quickly make an amplifier alignment, but i realized that when i try to adjust the knobs that control the dc offset the knobs have absolutely no effect on the dc offset. Ive made sure i did it correctly and going by EXACTLY what the service manual says but it seems the left channel is stuck on 25mv while the right channel is stuck on -10mv.
But you are not adjusting DC offset. You are adjusting the bias. There is no adjustment for DC offset.

Bias is measured on the emitter resistors.
DC offset is measured at the speaker terminals.

25mV and 10mV is not bad for offset. Check the bias at the emitter resistors and see where it is at. If you turned the bias pots thinking you were adjusting DC offset, then the bias may be off. Too high can destroy your output transistors.

I did check the bias at the emmitter resistors and it is exactly the same as what I get out of the speaker terminal. 25 left, -10 right. When i make any small movments on the pots nothing changes for either.

I did an ohm check on the two pots and they seem to read differet resistances depending on how they are turned.

When i position my leads this way as on the service manual my value jumps between -5 and 5mv but still nothing changes when i turn the pots. Volume minimum, no inputs going.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 3
You might want to scan the schematic and post it. Hopefully someone that is familiar with bias circuits will chime in and help out. Meanwhile check transistors, diodes, resistors in the bias area. Also check the underside of the PCB for cold solder joints.

For now i decided to turn the pots as close as they were to the original position as i could and continue on. After doing some more searching on the pre driver section i was Finally able to find a voltage that did not match up right.

The conductor of q 711 was measuring -55 volts when if you look at the corresponding q710 it is only supposed to be measuring 2.3 volts. I pulled q 711 and it tested good. I replaced it anyway with a good one from a part unit but the measurements are still the same. Pretty much every where i checked the component was testing good even though the voltage was off. I was able to write down a few more measurements before blowing an output transistor when i was trying to measure a voltage on a transistor in a tight spot. I seen a resistor light up like a candle and knew somthing was up. Lucky for me my part unit has the exact outputs that they needed so i quickly installed them.

Before i installed them i noticed a couple more solder joints That did not look so good and so i moved the component around a bit and noticed that i could see the joints moving. That obviously means the connection is not good but in most cases that I've tried, my multi meter says there is a connection from the component to the board. I already re flowed a good bunch of joints that i thought were poor but it looks like i missed a few and I'm able to get a better idea when i wiggle the component around and see the joint move a little bit.

Im still a bit skeptical about cold solder joints because besides the joints on the lcd board, not once have i ever had a problem fixed in a receiver or any piece of stereo equipment from fixing cold solder joints and like i said my multimeter says they are still connected even though you can see them wiggle a little bit. Definitely not the worst cold solder joints I've seen bit i suppose it might explain why I'm having issues with both channels instead of the common one channel. Maybe there is a joint ore two that is preventing poorly connected and therfor little current is passing threw.

Before i turn it back on i will make sure to fix every joint and test all the components that could have been damaged from the shorted output transistor.

Here are the few voltages i was able to put down. Like i said i replaced q711 but I'm still getting that same
The voltages on the bottom (right channel) that are printed correspond to the respective components on the top(left channle). All of the voltages that i mesured on the bottom were inline with what was printed but the few written in red on the top are off. You can see what they should be by looking at the botton.

image.jpeg

Some good news and some pretty bad news.

Good news is it looks like the. Transistor transplant is sucessful. Pluged it in and turned it on and did not see the certin resistor light up like a candell.

Bad news is soon there after C (50v 1000uF) exploded infront of my face. Ive been looking around for some likley shorted diodes but for the life of me i cant find a diodes or transistor out of speck.

Not sure if it is the greatest idea but i removed both of those caps and turned the unit back on just to see what is going on and i did see that R929 is getting very very hot, started smoking after a second or two. Obviously means there is a lot of current going threw it and that is probably what blew the cap but im yet to find a shorted diode that could have caused it.

image.jpeg

image.png

the link on the previous page to google drive should give you the full schematic.

Last edited:
Both mesure in spec. Along with diodes 815-818. I think what i might do is turn it back on without the caps and see if i can mesure some voltages. Hopefully nothing else blows up.

there is this old adage about insulating a tip of the dmm probes with heat shrink before poking in there.

In reading this I see phrases like 'lighting up like a roman candle', exploding in my face, blew output transistsor, etc.

STOP.

If ANY of those conditions were true then something along the line that a very wise tech here would call 'racing to destruction' has raced.

You need to desolder EVERY output and EVERY driver transistor and every flame proof resistor. if possible remove every line from the power supply to the amp board and work on the power supply FIRST.

Over the years I have done/am doing a *lot* of what I call 'computer receivers'. The digital display stuff with 100w drivers (or more) and chipsets and all sorts of stuff. they typically have *at least* 5 power supply voltages: +/- for the main amp in the 30-40-50 volt range, +/- voltages for the driver board typically in the 12-16v range, and 5v for the chipsets

That yours requires the lights to be on to power something else connected to the driver board to get the protection relay to fire is just damn weird, but not unheard of.

So, if this were mine and I wanted it to work - out of spite by this time, the computer receivers are so prolific for cheap it might be easier to get another - I would do thus:

Disconnect what I told you before.

Investigate replacing the fuse lights with warm white festoons from parts express (on sale right now, $5 for 5 and whack the voltage to 8v. a 78M07 or 78M08 regulator following a rectifier and small cap if the line is AC works fine for me. now it wont draw jack for current and will create no heat.

Next, dive into the power supply. Every single diode and every single power transistor and zener will be available from mouser. test all the parts OUT OF THE MACHINE. if off by any amount, replace. You can go up in PIV and If on the diodes at will. You can go up on voltages and Power dissipation on the power transistors. You may not alter any facet of any flame proof resistor - same ohmage, same tolerance same wattage. These things are in there to act as fuses AND they are oft elevated from the board to bleed heat as they are designed to run at the red line.

Once the DMM says you have perfect output power with no wavering THEN you can goto the next step...check every flame proof and ANY low value resistor in the driver and amp board and replace if off by any amount. Check the driver transistors - typically the to92s and in some cases 220s, or even sot32's (without looking at your schematic at all)

You are allowed to get the driver section up and running with no outputs, you can test for DC offset and you can oft feed it thru a resistor to the aux input of another amp to see if indeed there is glorious music on the line. The resistor bleeds the voltage/current back down to something the aux input of something else will appreciate.

Lastly after testing the output transistors you can re-insert after you test any and all emitter resistors and center any dc balance pots and minimize any idle current pots.

if in doubt on what does what, post a section of the PDF here and dozens will point out what not to lick.

If you have a modern, non-servo amp with no DC offset adjustment (weird, but not unheard of) then simply buying the drivers matched to each other as close as possible will negate offset pretty well. oft they are only pennies on the dollar so you can buy dozens at mouser and use the Hfe setting on your whizbang really good DMM to test em. Yeah, you can prolly use the autotune DMM from advance auto for MOST stereo fixin stuff, but Ill be honest, since the demise of the shack, I dont even know where to go to get a decent DMM nowadays.

I will close with: since the advent of computer receivers, and since the advent of very cheap high power outputs, everything is 100w and everything runs very hot and everything is assembled by a parts picker and run thru essentially an easy bake oven.

Since everyone sticks them in cabinets and covers them and etc with no ventilation, the normal hot running they do becomes nu-cu-lah hot running and they literally desolder themselves. Depending on the order in which stuff comes unglued sometimes sh*t happens. personally, I find that the onkyo A-RV series likes to loosen up the negative driver supply and if the zener comes off first a few components follow quickly and permanently - but I digress. The fix I like is to get laptop cooling pads from like big lots for cheap and rip out the fans. either tap in a small voltage regulator or increase the power handling of the 5v supply and create a blowing upward fan that comes on with the power. its a $5 (or less) modification that extends the life - but then once again, you REALLY have to like it cuz the BPC computer stuff is everywhere.

Pro Tip to anyone who has never replaced output transistors before: The mica insulator that connects the back of the transistor to the heat sink is there for a reason! I had to learn this the hard way...

The collector of the output transistor is connected to the metal plate on the back of the transistor and with out the insulator, you are basically creating a short circuit between your collector and the chassis of your receiver, resulting in blowing up your filter capacitors.

As far as i know, the voltages from the power supply are good and now that i fixed that headache, i'm back to diagnosing the distorted sound.

I inputted a signal directly in to the Pre driver section threw connection 301 on the schematic. This connection separates the input connections with the pre driver and amp board. when i inputted the signal i was still getting heavy distortion which makes me confidant that the problem lies on the pre driver section.

While testing i noticed something interesting. with everything connected as it should be and inputting my ipod threw the CD port on the receiver, i noticed that when i turn the receivers balance all the way to the right, i still will get the same distorted sound threw BOTH CHANNELS, as if i kept the balance normal. when i turn the balance all the way to the left, i once again get distorted sound threw both channels, but this time is is even more distorted.

When i set the balance on my ipod all the way to the left so only music is coming from the left or right channel of my ipod, i get distorted music threw BOTH channels when i play it threw the receiver.

I'm going to start reading voltages from 301 and map out where things start to become off compared to the schematic.

Last edited:
well some pretty good news. after i started reading voltages in the pre driver section, i started to notice things not adding up. replaced some caps and transistors, but it was not helping so i once again turned my attention to the ground. in doing so i was able to notice something quickly. looking in the schematic it was easy to see that the black ground wire coming from the power supply (805) was (and obviously should be) connected directly to the ground of the signal input of the pre driver board (301). the problem with this was, i was getting absolutely no continuity from those points when i stick my multi meter probes on both ends. i then turned the unit over to take a second look at the connections and it seemed that everything was fine especially after i redid the joints on 805. after doing so, i decided to take a very close look and i noticed that there was a very very small hairline crack on the board separating a few connections. the small crack extended threw a small spot on the board where 5 connections were crammed together so i had to install a few jumpers to fix every one of them which was not fun. as soon as i did so the beautiful sound came threw! no distortion.

that crack probably explained why i was not getting any results when trying to adjust the idle current, but i will try it again as soon as i can.

Back
Top Bottom