JVC T-Xx tuners

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by djjauntyj, Jan 10, 2018.

1. djjauntyj

djjauntyj New Member

So there's a big JVC thread elsewhere that's probably a good source of this kind of model-specific info, but I thought I'd start here. I've been scouring the globe for a tuner to match my A-X2 integrated -- namely a T-X1 (analog) or T-X2 (digital). They evidently don't exist in North America, or at least they seem to never turn up in shops or on auction sites here. I never imagined they were all that rare, as I don't think they were all that spendy when they were new in 1980 or so. OTOH they do turn up reliably in continental Europe and the UK. I'm probably mental for thinking it might be worth the expense to have one shipped over here, but here we are!

Naturally one would have to use a voltage converter (or get into replacing the power supply, yeesh). But does anyone know if one can convert a European T-X2 to work with the US broadcast tuning scheme? I'm aware that on certain JVCs with synthesizer tuners from this time (the R-S77 receiver comes to mind) you can move a jumper on the tuning board to switch between the two schemes. But does anyone know if it's possible on a T-X2?

Of course it isn't an issue with the analog T-X1, and I'd probably be happy with either one at this point. Perhaps as importantly, has anyone ever seen *either* of these boxes on this side of the world? Any of you European folks seen the *inside* of either of them?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Punker X

Punker X Moderator Moderator Subscriber

The frequency scheme is the same, but the de-emphasis would have to be changed from 50usec to 75usec. Might have a switch if it was ever sold in the America's, if not a schematic and/or manual would be most helpful to figure out what caps or resistors need to be changed.

djjauntyj likes this.
  3. djjauntyj

djjauntyj New Member

Right on about the de-emphasis. But aren't the schemes themselves different too? Weren't FM center frequencies (at least when these boxes were made) set at odd .2mHz steps in the US (88.1, 88.3, 88.5 etc.) versus every .05mHz in Europe (88.05, 88.10, 88.15 etc.)? And AM every 10kHz versus 9kHz? (I have seen switches on certain units for this, but not on these tuners.)

I would imagine that switching a preset on the board would handle both of these variables...?

I guess I assume that you'd still be able to tune to stations in the US no problem, it just may take 4x as long. :p

4. Punker X

Just finer FM tuning, still should be able to tune in US stations. AM on the other hand might be an issue. Really haven't seen too many European digital tuners and the ones I've seen have been FM only. Getting a manual would be the first step, some tuners have switches on the back for changing tuning steps.

5. Punker X

Actually the manual is at hifiengine, however, not that good. Does show the logic switch board, it there is not schematic for that board. Appears to be some switches to change things, but no table on what they should be set at.

6. NAD80

NAD80 Super Member

djjauntyj likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Hak Foo

Hak Foo Active Member

The tslightly later?) two-digit T-X series seems to be more common and would also fit more or less stylistically IMO. I had a T-X30 and it had a back-panel switch for AM strep size. The T-X200 (one generation later still, diffeent aesthetic) had a jumper for it, but perhaps it was exposed in foreign-market models as a switch.

There are also a surprising number of T-40P or T-40PR units around; I suspect it's an earlier series than the T-X but iit also would fit. Mine has 1kHz AM steps.

djjauntyj likes this.
  8. djjauntyj

djjauntyj New Member

Yeah, the T-X##s seem a lot easier to find, but they don't really match the vibe closely enough for me. :p Which is too bad cause yeah, later models -- and even certain ones from this older silver face era -- have things like switches right there on the back, line voltage selectors etc. But not the ones I want!

I also did some snooping around in some service manuals, but couldn't really find out anything.

But it's ok! Because yesterday, I hopped onto HifiShark at just the right time and found a nice T-X1 right down in California, so I think I'm set. Pics to come.

Thanks everyone!

9. djjauntyj

djjauntyj New Member

Oh, and also, I *did* have my eye on a T-40P on the bay for a minute there... the price isn't bad either. I believe those are their first (consumer-market) digital tuners. They have a cool transitional look about them, but I decided I'd rather have a big backlit dial. It does look fun though. 1kHz steps?! Wild, man, wild.