JVC TD-V711 Playback Head Azimuth Adjustment makes no difference

Evan Wester

Hello!

I have recently acquired a JVC TD-V711, in excellent shape.

When I try to adjust the PLAYBACK azimuth, I can't hear any difference at all! This is especially troubling, considering all the two head decks I have pronounce playback azimuth errors quite audibly.

Pictured is the head block diagram, and the screw I am adjusting during playback. The service manual says that this is the playback azimuth adjustment screw.

This is my first 3 head deck, am I doing something wrong here, entirely?

Thanks!

Attachments

• azimuth 1.png
    azimuth 1.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 27
Can you see the head block (shield plate) moving when you turn the screw ?

From my understanding of the schematics, it is the correct screw for the play head.

A startling discovery! The fastener/bolt (not a screw) for the azimuth turns, but doesn't actually move, or change at all!

It's a loctited fastener that threads around a metal pole in the middle. I can make the fastener itself turn during playback, but nothing seems to be changing position.

Nothing's moving at all. I can hear the spring making noises when I turn the screw, but that's it.

Attachments

• IMG_20181205_160244.jpg
    IMG_20181205_160244.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 14
Wait, I figured it out! I accidentally overloosened the fastener some time yesterday, but pressing against the back plate while tightening the screw seems to have restored its proper path. I can hear it making a difference again! Thanks hdrobien!
giphy.gif

Are you setting azimuth by ear or with a test tape and 'scope? I definitely recommend the latter if at all possible. Otherwise it's generally better not to touch it.

Are you setting azimuth by ear or with a test tape and 'scope? I definitely recommend the latter if at all possible. Otherwise it's generally better not to touch it.

Azimuth is being set by ear. I do not own a scope, and the tapes I'm playing are from a possibly huge variety of decks.

Back
Top Bottom