K-Horn bass problem

Discussion in 'The Klipsch Korner' started by playittwice, Jan 9, 2019.

1. playittwice

playittwice AK Subscriber Subscriber

So Ive been trying to track down my bass problem in my set-up. Just got finished recapping my amp and noticed the bass was lacking. Thinking it was the amp turns out to be a bass bin on one speaker. It follows the speaker as I've hooked up different amps and different sources. This has been a nightmare trying to isolate the issue. Checked polarity and all the other obvious I can think of. Speakers have been recapped about five years ago with Crites parts. Is there a way I can check somehow whats going on?

Thanks

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Coytee

Coytee Super Member

Not to doubt what you've said or already tried to figure out.... but I'd physically trace each wire to your bass bins to make sure they're correct all the way through.

I once had some single MWM bass bins (single height). I had to stack them and then run a jumper between them to make the double.

Did so....but for some reason, I ended up unplugging one of them and I immediately noticed the bass got more meaty..... everything was wired correctly.

I pulled the hatch off and someone (before my ownership) cross wired INSIDE and had the wires inside the speaker going reverse to the driver. You would have never found that had you not physically looked inside to see them.

Got it fixed and all was well.

You say it follows the speaker so if you swap your wires to reverse the speakers (the right speaker is now playing the left side music) you say the problem stays?

That means it's inside there somewhere.

Is the woofer working at all? If so, it's gotta be a wire or loose connection or something like that.

You'll find it. Just be detailed when you look.

You might do the 9 volt battery test.... (might have to remove woofer hatch) but does + to + cause driver to flex in or out? Then check other speaker for same action.

playittwice likes this.
  3. playittwice

The woofer does work, just doesn’t go as deep and the midrange sounds like there is less. It does seem like a phase issue. That was my first thought.

4. Eric n Kc

Eric n Kc AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey
    Not trying to be a smarty pants ,but you do have them seated firmly in the corners? Eric

5. playittwice

Yes I do. I’ve owned these for 30 years, so not sure how long this has been going on. It’s subtle but noticeable when isolating each speaker.

Eric n Kc likes this.
  6. RobRoy

RobRoy It's just stuff - but fun

I just replaced a woofer in my subwoofer and found a quite large snake skin inside. Maybe a little off topic though...

7. playittwice

We have snakes in the hood, but they have two legs!

8. bshorey

bshorey Super Member

I'm a little confused. Did this problem crop up after you recapped the amp, or has it been there all along, and you just noticed it?

Have you tried swapping the phase of the wires going to the questionable speaker? Perhaps there is an internal phasing problem with the speaker, and the speaker wire had been out of phase prior to the amp recap, and when you put things together after the recap, and connected the wires 'properly', it uncovered the problem?

Scratching my head,

bs

9. playittwice

Yes you are correct in your assumption. It had to be there all along. I’m just now figuring this out. Here is a good way to describe the difference between speakers. One sounds like a bass drum the other a tenor drum. Maybe not quite that drastic but close. Kinda thin if you will.

10. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

Have you checked the DCR of the woofer crossover coil? The DCR of the woofer capacitors? Have you swapped crossovers. Could be the leads from the speaker terminals to the voice coil are starting to fail or Frey. If you use a 9 volt battery to pulse the woofers disconnected from the crossovers by some else do you hear a difference from your listening position. If not its the crossovers. If you do its time to get a woofer re-coned. If you have a smart phone you can get an app for your phone that will be pretty accurate to measure any difference in the woofer spectrum using pink noise.

11. playittwice

The 9 volt battery thing. You compare one speaker to the other? Unhook the leads from the crossover and touch them to a 9v battery and listen for differences? Correct?

Re-read above post. Pos battery terminal to Pos woofer lead. Correct?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

12. Hajidub

Hajidub Chihuahua/Pug = Chug Subscriber

I think some wires got hoked up when the new x-over was installed back in the cabinet. Intentionally reverse your external speaker wires and see if the woofer comes back to life.

13. avguytx

avguytx AK Subscriber Subscriber

And you're sure they're both the same woofer internally? Maybe I missed that somewhere in the read but thought it viable like if one was a K-33 and the other a K-43. Who knows...

14. lilwing

lilwing CAGE FREE AUDIO ZOO Subscriber

Are you comparing them in Mono or Stereo? Could one of the woofs be other than 4ohm?