KA-5700 -- The Green Machine :-)

Discussion in 'Kenwood-Trio/Kensonic-Accuphase' started by rjsalvi, Sep 9, 2018.

1. rjsalvi

rjsalvi Well-Known Member

Just a baby Kenwood KA-5700 with the following work done:

**Green Hammer finish powdercoated case
    **ALL electrolytic capacitors were replaced (FC in PS -- film, UFG and UKZ in audio)
    **ALL diodes were updated except the germanium ones for the meters
    **ALL resistors 1/2W and up were updated with same value metal film
    **ALL 1/4W 5% carbon film resistors were updated to 1% tolerance metal film ones
    **ALL transistors updated except for outputs and phono stage JFETs
    **New lamp and fuses
    **Potentiometers and switches received the prerequisite Deoxit treatment (speaker and input selector pulled apart and contacts cleaned)
    **Main filter caps bypassed with film caps and upped from 6800uF, to 10,000uF

I restore a lot of 5700s because they're not only easy, but because they provide great bang for the buck and when I sell them. Being at the low end of the price range for properly restored gear...they sell relatively fast. They're kind of like the VW Beetle of Kenwood amplifiers...inexpensive, but reliable as hell...and they sound really good! :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    gort69 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. slimecity

slimecity Super Member

Thats really nice work with all the metal film replacements!

Nice lid colour too!

rjsalvi likes this.
  3. ferninando

ferninando Lunatic Member

I too have a 5700. All Ive done is new PS caps.
    It sounds very good IMO. Really glad I got it.
    Its a keeper.
    Also have a 7100. Another great sounding KW amp.

rjsalvi likes this.
  4. rjsalvi

Thanks! The 5700 is a sweet little amp in its own right because of the passive preamp section. When one changes out all the components with modern low noise ones, it really cleans things up! It's ton of work, but well worth it, imho.

5. Milesc2

Milesc2 New Member

Nice work!

rjsalvi likes this.
  6. rjsalvi

7. slowpat

slowpat Slowly but surely.... Subscriber

Does changing from carbon film caps to metal film caps change the sound? Or are the carbon composite the ones that keep the vintage sound?

8. rjsalvi

They're metal film resistors, not caps and as a system-wide change, yes, the sound changes too. From here:

"Metal film resistors have good characteristics for tolerance, stability and TCR. Furthermore, the resistors feature low noise properties and a high linearity because of a low voltage coefficient. Therefore, in circuits where tight tolerance, low temperature coefficient and low noise properties are important, often metal film resistors are used."

"TCR", as mentioned above, is the variation in resistance due to temperature changes. You'll usually see the TCR spec represented as PPM. Lower PPM >>> less change in resistance with temperature. Changing from 5% tolerance carbon film resistors to 1% tolerance metal film resistors -- especially in the signal path -- usually manifests itself as cleaner, more pronounced high frequencies and overall lower noise. One of the added benefits of utilizing tighter tolerance parts, is better channel balance (L/R)...and of course, they tend to last longer.

Why change all the resistors? For me, it's purely philosophical in that I'm after sonic purity -- not a "vintage sound" -- and also because these units are 40 y/o. At 40, what's the next weak link to go? If I restore a piece of gear and I'm asking someone to pull out their wallet and pay top dollar, the last thing I want is for that customer to call me in six months and say "something's wrong". (chuckling) I'm also OCD, so restoring units it to the nines is just how I roll.

9. slowpat

slowpat Slowly but surely.... Subscriber

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, I meant "resistors" as I typed capacitors..LOL

Yes, I can see the benefits you mentioned. It's just a lot of work to change all of them, but you are delivering a high quality restoration after all....

10. rjsalvi

Yes, it's a s**tload of work to change them all, especially in a receiver which has multiple boards for the tuner as well! :eek: Having said that, when the voltages are dialed in and it's time to run an audio signal through it, that's when the magic happens! :thumbsup:

11. SicMan

SicMan Fire up those speakers Subscriber

I just had to post this ... :rflmao:

burning_amp.jpg

12. rjsalvi

LOL!!! I'm glad you did!