1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

KA-801 Output Transistors

Discussion in 'Kenwood-Trio/Kensonic-Accuphase' started by cirtcele, Aug 30, 2014.

1. cirtcele

cirtcele Active Member

Anyone know of a replacement for the NEC C2587 I have a shorted one and its looks like i'm out of luck.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. jhoyt

jhoyt Incomprehensible space llama

On-Semi (formerly Motorola) makes a great replacement. I don't remember the exact model right now, but I've used them in an old 801 I refurbished, as well as other amps.

3. cirtcele

cirtcele Active Member

Jhoyt please try to find part number.

4. xwarp

xwarp Active Member

Looks like 4 each, 2SA1107, 2SC2587.

5. jhoyt

jhoyt Incomprehensible space llama

Just found the part numbers in another thread: On-Semi MJ21193G and MJ21194G. ONLY get them from a reliable seller, such as Digikey or Mouser. If you try to buy cheap on eBay, Alibaba, or somewhere shady, you may well wind up with Chinese fakes. The real thing isn't that expensive, anyway.

Good luck, that's a great amp!

6. THD

THD New Member

Wrong, wrong, don't know how you think this is a replacement for the 801, nowhere near the same.

7. Broesel02

Broesel02 New Member

Sanken, 2SC2921 / 2SA1215. ONLY get them from a reliable seller, such as Digikey or Mouser.

8. THD

THD New Member

Ordering from BD enterprises in PA

9. Watthour

Watthour Electron Rancher - JS3600

Nowhere near the same? Other than the mounting being different, they are possible candidates. XM-package devices are only available as NOS in most instances. Even DigiKey lists it as an obsolete device. Many of us have had to deal with mounting different packages to retrofit these - It's just part of the procedure now. One drilled/tapped hole and the deed is done until the new packages are NLA. Get them while you can, but be prepared to retrofit in the future.

10. THD

THD New Member

Exactly, nowhere near the same, a TO3 case with 4 MHz? The 801 uses high speed transistors with MT-200 case. I just ordered 20 peices from B&D, 10 each of the compliments. 150 watt version. They still have 35 more, plus they have the 200 watt versions in stock...get these wile you can they are obsolete.

11. Watthour

The MJL21193/94 are TO-264 cases.

[​IMG]

12. THD

THD New Member

Yea, that makes a big difference putting a L in the part #. That's NOT what the above post says. You still have to drill a hole to center it. No drilling on the sanken parts. Plus that still only 4 MHz, not a high speed transistor to put in an amp labeled as high speed.

13. Watthour

Correct, but there is a variant at 30 MHz. As I mentioned, get the XMs while you can, and hopefully those DigiKey "Sanken" devices are genuine. The buyer has a much better chance of that when dealing with a reputable seller like DigiKey than an auction site.

But eventually, you'll be facing this kind of refit. Hopefully the selection of suitable replacements will still exist when that day arrives.

slimecity likes this.
  14. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  15. SicMan

SicMan Fire up those speakers Subscriber

waiting for someone to post

when-wife-says-pickup-1.jpeg

slimecity and rjsalvi like this.