KA-8150 Overhaul

gort69

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Got this several months back from the bay, an 8150 - the bronze faced version of the KA-8100. Same exact amp with selectable voltage.

Nothing really groundbreaking here that hasn't been covered in other threads - more of a show and tell really.

All electrolytic caps were replaced. The new filter caps are 15,000uf 63V (United ChemiCon KMH)- the originals were 10,000uf 56V. Since these are snap-in caps vs the original solder lug caps, new holes for the lugs had to be drilled in the board to accept them. To do the job I made a template of the bottom of the new cap, placed it on the board exactly where I wanted it, marked the spots and drilled with a pin vise and a numbered bit (I forget which size) There is "just" enough space on the solder side to accomplish this - in a couple of spots I had to scrape a little to enlarge the solder pads. The glue was removed with lacquer thinner on a Q-tip (or 10). Lacquer thinner is pretty harsh stuff, but makes quick work of removing the glue. I had no issues with it removing the screening on the board, but try this at your own risk.

P1011158.JPG

P1011156.JPG

All that yucky flux on all boards was removed with 91% isopropyl acohol from a spray bottle using chip and tooth brushes.

I ditched the original filter cap/fuse board brace in favor of a stainless steel wire tie and short spacers. The new caps looked a bit lost in the original brace. I covered this awhile back - http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ka-8100-filter-cap-brace.783845/

IMG_0307.JPG

The caps on both the pre-amp and tone boards were all Nichicon UPW 105 degree (I had a bunch left from other projects) with a few exceptions. The exceptions: The two signal path caps on each board got Elna Silmic IIs. All caps originally with an orange jacket got Nichicon UKL, and ALL 1uf caps were replaced with Wima films. Of course I forgot to take photos of the pre-amp board.

The heat-sinked regulators on the tone board were replaced with On Semi MJE15032/3, and resistors Ri97,98 were upped from 1/4W to 1W (maybe 2W, I forget)

P1011165.JPG

P1011166.JPG
The main amp board got mainly Nichicon UFG (had a bunch of those also). The 3 transistors in the protection circuit were replaced. The rectifier diodes were upgraded from 2.5A rated to 5A. A new Omron relay was installed. A previous owner had already replaced the 4 original trimpots with Bourns mult-turns, 'so I had that going for me, which is nice' (Carl Spackler)

IMG_0306.JPG

The power switch was disassembled, and the body rotated 180 degrees to utilize the unused contacts and reassembled. The two sides were then bridged together to share the load, and a triac was installed to greatly (drastically) reduce wear on the switch. I drilled a hole in the verical section of the chassis in front of the transformers and mounted it with a Genuine Kenwood Screw.

P1011178.JPG

I sent the cover out to be powder coated and they screwed it up (badly) TWICE. So I decided to use the p-coat as a base for Zolatone "Lilith Charcoal" paint. Doesn't sound very manly, but I'm really happy with the way it turned out. This isn't rattle can paint - you need a compressor and a gun to spray it. It's tough stuff - lots of aluminum drift boaters use it, fire departments, etc. It's also used as trunk spatter. Yikes!

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

Thanks to roger2 for his recent KA-8100 restoration thread, and to hopjohn who gave advice via PM.

Last edited:
Beautiful work on the triac and filter caps. I like the spray coating too. It gives it a rugged vintage look. If you wanna be a badass like rjsalvi and name your amps, you might consider Lilith for this one. Sexy.

Lilith-Frasier-bebe-neuwirth-21374883-458-413.jpg

I like the speckled coating on that one. Looks good.
Keep it up.

John

View attachment 1016336

The main amp board got mainly Nichicon UFG (had a bunch of those also). The 3 transistors in the protection circuit were replaced. The rectifier diodes were upgraded from 2.5A rated to 5A. A new Omron relay was installed. A previous owner had already replaced the 4 original trimpots with Bourns mult-turns, 'so I had that going for me, which is nice' (Carl Spackler)

View attachment 1016358
Nice work. :thumbsup:

Which 5A rectifiers did you use here?

Got this several months back from the bay, an 8150 - the bronze faced version of the KA-8100. Same exact amp with selectable voltage.

Nothing really groundbreaking here that hasn't been covered in other threads - more of a show and tell really.

All electrolytic caps were replaced. The new filter caps are 15,000uf 63V (United ChemiCon KMH)- the originals were 10,000uf 56V. Since these are snap-in caps vs the original solder lug caps, new holes for the lugs had to be drilled in the board to accept them. To do the job I made a template of the bottom of the new cap, placed it on the board exactly where I wanted it, marked the spots and drilled with a pin vise and a numbered bit (I forget which size) There is "just" enough space on the solder side to accomplish this - in a couple of spots I had to scrape a little to enlarge the solder pads. The glue was removed with lacquer thinner on a Q-tip (or 10). Lacquer thinner is pretty harsh stuff, but makes quick work of removing the glue. I had no issues with it removing the screening on the board, but try this at your own risk.

View attachment 1016336

View attachment 1016337

All that yucky flux on all boards was removed with 91% isopropyl acohol from a spray bottle using chip and tooth brushes.

I ditched the original filter cap/fuse board brace in favor of a stainless steel wire tie and short spacers. The new caps looked a bit lost in the original brace. I covered this awhile back - http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ka-8100-filter-cap-brace.783845/

View attachment 1016351

The caps on both the pre-amp and tone boards were all Nichicon UPW 105 degree (I had a bunch left from other projects) with a few exceptions. The exceptions: The two signal path caps on each board got Elna Silmic IIs. All caps originally with an orange jacket got Nichicon UKL, and ALL 1uf caps were replaced with Wima films. Of course I forgot to take photos of the pre-amp board.

The heat-sinked regulators on the tone board were replaced with On Semi MJE15032/3, and resistors Ri97,98 were upped from 1/4W to 1W (maybe 2W, I forget)

View attachment 1016355

View attachment 1016357

View attachment 1016358

The power switch was disassembled, and the body rotated 180 degrees to utilize the unused contacts and reassembled. The two sides were then bridged together to share the load, and a triac was installed to greatly (drastically) reduce wear on the switch. I drilled a hole in the verical section of the chassis in front of the transformers and mounted it with a Genuine Kenwood Screw.

View attachment 1016368

I sent the cover out to be powder coated and they screwed it up (badly) TWICE. So I decided to use the p-coat as a base for Zolatone "Lilith Charcoal" paint. Doesn't sound very manly, but I'm really happy with the way it turned out. This isn't rattle can paint - you need a compressor and a gun to spray it. It's tough stuff - lots of aluminum drift boaters use it, fire departments, etc. It's also used as trunk spatter. Yikes!

View attachment 1016362

View attachment 1016360

View attachment 1016363

Thanks to roger2 for his recent KA-8100 restoration thread, and to hopjohn who gave advice via PM.

Do you mind sharing the part numbers for the replacement of resistors Ri97,98. Also the part numbers for the 3 transistors in the protection circuit area.

Thanks

Looks good man I'm actually about to buy a la 3500 off Craigslist but guy wants $120 and I'm kinda questioning the price

Thanks a lot for the great info, I am also restoring a ka-8100 and this is a tremendous help. Can you please tell me how did you match the On Semi MJE15032/3 to the originals. Like the MJE15032 to what original part number and the MJE15033 to what original part number since they are different

I'll explain how I do it, since I don't have many of these memorized.

First off, you must replace a PNP with a PNP, and an NPN with an NPN.

After working on several, I figured out that Japanese transistors that start with "2sa" are PNP, and those that start with "2sc" are NPN. Fairchild followed suit, except their prefixes "ksa (PNP)" and "ksc"(NPN). (There are Japanese and Fairchild transistors that don't have any of those prefixes)

When I'm not sure - which is most of the time - I google the datasheet. For a random example 2sa620 datasheet: https://alltransistors.com/transistor.php?transistor=8636. For replacements I usually search the part# at Mouser, then click their link to the datasheet.

This should be enough info for you to do a little research and learn.

I don't remember off hand which regulators Kenwood used on this amp, but 2sa755/2sc1419 were very common for them. From memory, this is a bit of an oddball setup in that both regulators share one rather small heatsink. One of them is insulated from the heatsink with a mica insulator and a special insulating bushing for the screw, while the other is screwed directly to the heatsink. Pay attention when you remove the originals and duplicate what the factory did when installing the replacements. And be sure and use fresh thermal compound.

I don't remember off hand which regulators Kenwood used on this amp, but 2sa755/2sc1419
This is correct. I can confirm that the regulators are Qi13 2SC1419 NPN and Qi14 2SA755 PNP and are located on the control board. The replacements MJE15032 is NPN, and MJE15033 is PNP.

Do you all recommend to change the 3 transistors from the protection circuit even if they look ok ?
Thanks

I'll explain how I do it, since I don't have many of these memorized.

First off, you must replace a PNP with a PNP, and an NPN with an NPN.

After working on several, I figured out that Japanese transistors that start with "2sa" are PNP, and those that start with "2sc" are NPN. Fairchild followed suit, except their prefixes "ksa (PNP)" and "ksc"(NPN). (There are Japanese and Fairchild transistors that don't have any of those prefixes)

When I'm not sure - which is most of the time - I google the datasheet. For a random example 2sa620 datasheet: https://alltransistors.com/transistor.php?transistor=8636. For replacements I usually search the part# at Mouser, then click their link to the datasheet.

This should be enough info for you to do a little research and learn.

I don't remember off hand which regulators Kenwood used on this amp, but 2sa755/2sc1419 were very common for them. From memory, this is a bit of an oddball setup in that both regulators share one rather small heatsink. One of them is insulated from the heatsink with a mica insulator and a special insulating bushing for the screw, while the other is screwed directly to the heatsink. Pay attention when you remove the originals and duplicate what the factory did when installing the replacements. And be sure and use fresh thermal compound.

Do you recommend to change the 3 transistors from the protection circuit even if they look OK ?
Thanks

View attachment 1016336

View attachment 1016337

View attachment 1016351

View attachment 1016355

View attachment 1016357

View attachment 1016358

View attachment 1016368

View attachment 1016362

View attachment 1016360

View attachment 1016363

Do you mind sharing the size an type of drill bit you used. Did you use a power drill to make the holes. I am in the process of restoring my ka-8100 and will need to do the same thing to allow for the filter caps to fit. Can the holes be drilled without removing the board completely?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom