ka 9100 bent power knob?

anderslober

Yikes...not again!
hello forum...I just got my grubby hands on one of these amps.....its has a slightly bent power knob/selector....dare I bend it back?

It also seems a bit loose....otherwize the amp is in great condition...can't wait to hook it up............

Yeah, if it bothers you like it would bother me if it were mine, try it, but BE CAREFUL. Can you take a picture of it? You have to apply a forceful, constant, yet easy pressure to the switch. What I do is I grasp both of my hands together as if I were swinging a golf club, that way you have better control of your application of pressure while moving it back straight. It really depends on how far over it is bent. If it is too far, than most likely it will not come back straight without breaking, unless it is virgin metal, meaning it has never been bent & straightened before. Good Luck & again, BE CAREFUL!

Well I have a grubby 8100 that I have all apart and it too had some bent switch shafts.I took the knobs off and used a needle nose pliers to "GENTLY" realign them.Not back and forth but ONCE.Got it real straight and left it alone.
Maybe you can do the same thing.Got any pics?

Anderslober, please follow the advice of gyrene: use some pliers which are big enough to hold the whole lever of the switch. Grab the lever at its very beginning (where it comes out of its housing) and by only closing the pliers you should be able to get it straight. Just be sure to grab the switch with the pliers before, at, and after the bent at the same time. Don't use your fingers, it will sure enough end in a broken switch. Those little things broke very easily!

hello forum....ok....I was heck nervous.............did it with the pliers.....nice and easy...
and the switch is straight now. It is still a little loose though....pulls in and out slightly on its fitting....can this be fixed?.....you know, making it firm again....like the other switches.
I will try to post a picture.....

Maybe the mounting screws are loose. Only way to find out is to take cover off to examine the switch. If loose, you will have to take the faceplate off.

When straightening a switch, always pull the switch "end" off first. This will expose the actual switch shaft, and you can get a good sense of the overall condition of the shaft, and you'll know when it's perfectly straight. And there will be a little play in the shaft; but more than a little bit could be problematic. Does the switch actuate as it should? It should feel solid, with an audible "click" as it turns on and off.

well the amp is up and running....and looking good now. I am pretty happy with my purchase.......good ol' analogue stereo is fantastic to have........really nice sound compared to my Onkyo 905....the power is great. ..I only "dial" it to about 1030 position and wow does it rock!....now to start collecting!!! Pioneer sa9800 anyone?

the switch is nice, straight and firm now.........just needed a little nudge...works just fine now.....thanks for the good advice.

Back
Top Bottom