KA-9100 phono preamp issue?

djackman123

Hi all,
I am looking for some input on my KA-9100. I had it stored for about 25years. After reviving it and cleaning the contacts. It has been running like new. The only issue is that the two phono outputs are running on the right channel only. I have sprayed the switch and changed the rca connections to make sure it wasn't the cables-no luck. I even sprayed into the rca connections on the back of the amp. My conclusion is that the left preamp is bad. Any suggestions or input would be appreciated. David

You did try reversing your phono's output cables right? (make sure you have output on both phono cartridge channels).

Most likely the preamp, correct?

No. The signal from phono 1 & 2 passes through every single switch in the amp except the power switch. Selector is just the first one in line, they all need to be cleaned. Sometimes more than once. The filter buttons are notorious for dropping channels on the 9100. I use Deoxit D5. You can also use CRC contact cleaner. Odds are good your problem is just a dirty switch.

a little heads up is in order here:) the pre-amp is a pain in the butt to work on in this amp.... so really check everything else first:) cables, rca inputs, selector (again)

Gave the selector ample cleaning. I spray the sliding contact correct? Really don't know how to check the rca inputs. The cables are ok. What is your take on the filter switches being the problem?

Deoxit the selector and work it back and forth like 20 times. You probably done that already:)

All other switches works when listening to tuner,tape,aux?

I do not like using spray DeOxit. The Spray version is diluted. The needle applicator puts down 100% uncut DeOxit.

Back
Top Bottom