Kama's "Voice of the Theatre" project

Kamakiri

The New Dynamic
Hopefully these pics will load, damn laptop! :mad:

This pic is of my freshly repainted A5 before the horn repairs were finished. Had the paint matched at Home Depot to an inside panel, stickers are repro from eBay :)

The cabinet and horn were pretty beat up, but I really shouldn't cripe. The rare 808 horn was pretty battered in sections and was cracked off on the corner, so I came up with a great idea to make it usable again. First came the cardboard cut out to the shape of the voids followed by hot glue. Bear in mind that I wanted something that would be easy to work with, be about as resonant as the rest of the horn, and could be undone if somebody down the road felt that it ruined any "collectible" value....

Next, came drywall joint compound and paint. I had to paint a bit just before this coat to see where I was exactly with the work....

It's surprisingly solid.

Just before the last coat of paint. The entire top right hand corner wasn't there at all. Not 100% perfect, but very presentable and can be reversed easily.

Got more done, more pics to come......

Sweet!

You're really getting into this aren't you? Seems everyone is looking down the Hi-Efficiency avenue. Hell, I'll be the last one with "fart boxes"... the way things are going. MikE

Boy do those speakers bring back memories. When I was a kid (20 or so) I was in a local band. We were sort of the juke box local night club band playing the hits. Anyway, our lead singer had a pair of Voice of the Theater speakers. Wish I had those babies now.

Those are some pretty heavy horns. I had to move a pair around to get at some stuff about a month ago down at Chimera. Dennis said they are the best multicell horns made. Tom Brennen told me the can be filled with tar to stop the horn ring.
Mighty impressive Tim!

Thatch---Oh, those 808s of Kam's are just baby multicells. :) They're the tar-filled kind and I've seen collectors pay big bucks for them, they stopped using that horn in the early 50s and went to the 811 and 511 radial horns.

www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

I wish it were the plural of "hornS", I only have one horn and one VOT for the moment.

But I'm JAMMIN in mono!!! :D

Horns

Hi Thatch,
I remember, I saw those when we went over that day. They were way bigger than the one in the picture. I accidentally dropped my sunglasses into one and had a heck of a time getting them out. You need very small hands (monkey sized) and long arms (thin also) to get anything out of those horns. I have none of the above and eventually figured out that gravity could help me get them out. They were kind of wedged in there but a couple of (soft gentle) nocks did the job. They had flat driver mounting faces on them. I would like to know what type of horn that is. Is it Exponential Tractrix or Hyperbolic? I doubt that it is Tractrix. My guess is it is Exponential. I would love to compare them to round Tractrix horns to see how they differ in character.

Peace,
Hornphile
:wave:

Now that I look again it is smaller than that pair. Yea, you were pretty funny digging for your glasses. Your lucky Ramble didn't get ya when your head was that close to the ground!

It was extremely tricky squatting down with the horn balanced on my one shoe and that Timbre wolf thinking that I want to play with him. I didn’t want to damage the horn but also not upset that BIG dog. Nice doggy, Nice doggy. I got the sun glasses out, did not scratch the horn on the concrete floor, kept my balance and kept the dog at bay all at the same time. Who said men cant do more than one thing at a time?

Peace to all men….and dogs also =0)
Hornphile

One after thought, If you looked anything like the included picture on the left (avatar) any dog will thing that you are one heck of a serious plaything.

Peace =0)
Hornphile

Back
Top Bottom