Kanga Kiwi Cool A Go Go

Behind The Music - after a few years in England and one hit they seem played out and on the defensive. They should have gone to California and hung out there instead. The sunny weather, the Doors, and the San Jose garage bands would have been much more beneficial influences than what was happening in Sgt. Pepper's England -

Behind The Music - after a few years in England and one hit they seem played out and on the defensive. They should have gone to California and hung out there instead. The sunny weather, the Doors, and the San Jose garage bands would have been much more beneficial influences than what was happening in Sgt. Pepper's England -

Good find. George Young who mentioned the "mismanagement' went on to help manage his little brothers Angus and Malcolm who did find success in the UK with AC/DC.

UK was our "motherland' for want of a better word, the apron strings to Mother England and her Empire were always strong. The US was always tempting I suppose but even Johnny O'Keefe couldn't do any good there. the Bee gees were probably the only group from the 60's who went on to find big success.

Yes, the road is littered with Aussie bands who just couldn't crack it big overseas. I was actually shocked when I did a search for Powderfinger on the forum and saw only one instance of them being mentioned in 2005. I wondered why my "What are you listening to now" posts from Powderfinger get no likes. Not many people have heard of 'em,.

UK was our "motherland' for want of a better word, the apron strings to Mother England and her Empire were always strong. The US was always tempting I suppose but even Johnny O'Keefe couldn't do any good there.
OK - but I think you guys have a kinship to Americans and vice-versa cuz we were rebels and you were criminals (I mean that as a complement). Canadians are kinda you know whatever. Speaking of which maybe it's a good thing you guys were isolated by a huge ocean cuz that made your scene more concentrated and independent. OTOH Canadians would just trickle across the border and head to places like California - Neil Young, Steppenwolf, etc.

OK - but I think you guys have a kinship to Americans and vice-versa cuz we were rebels and you were criminals (I mean that as a complement). Canadians are kinda you know whatever. Speaking of which maybe it's a good thing you guys were isolated by a huge ocean cuz that made your scene more concentrated and independent. OTOH Canadians would just trickle across the border and head to places like California - Neil Young, Steppenwolf, etc.

Yeah, you're the "bad cousins" who turned your back on the family and found even greater success! The kinship IMHO includes the goldrushes of California and Victoria and whaling days of the mid 1800's add a couple of world wars.

The isolation and playing in a lot of noisy pubs created the Aussie sound in bands, really loud strumming. I suppose if you're a group of struggling musicians in the 60's with an average exchange rate, renting everything, paying a fortune to fly hlf way around the world......... once you get overseas, you're going to have to sell a lot of tickets and albums to get your money back. The Go-Betweens, Cold Chisel, Midnight Oil, Split Enz & The Angels are some that I can think of struggled later on.

And conversely, there are US/Canadian bands that not many Aussies have heard of, Rush for example, they've never toured here due to the lack of album sales.

Back
Top Bottom