Kansas City Area Ping Thread

Discussion in 'Events & Happenings' started by toxcrusadr, Mar 27, 2017.

1. dewiseman

dewiseman New Member

Keeping it going. Sorry I missed it but it was worth it. Enjoying my new speakers.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. dewiseman

dewiseman New Member

can someone loan me their glasses? I can't see the glasses.

3. noisefreq

noisefreq Well-Known Member

They're on top of your thread, silly.

4. dewiseman

dewiseman New Member

Thanks, I didn't look there.

5. mccalljd

mccalljd Active Member

Has any thought been given to organizing some kind of swap/shop/vendor meet in the KC area where people could rent a space and sell/trade some of their equipment and/or vinyl? Back in the mid-eighties there used to be a lot of record meets, sometimes three or four a year. Or has it been done recently and I just missed it? Seems like we all have something left over or extra that we are trying to get rid of, so why not all gather in one spot and see if we could attract others who might be getting back into vinyl? I live an hour away, but I sure would participate.

6. can-man

can-man Active Member

I would be interested to attend as well.

mccalljd likes this.

7. Russellc

Russellc AK Subscriber Subscriber

We tried that idea a few years ago and it never quite got off the ground. Doesnt mean it couldnt be done....main problems that conspired then: Price, getting everyones schedule on the same page, which worked into price...(you have to have enough attendees to cover it, weather, ( If semi outside or not heated/cooled) and of course it must have electricity, bathroom, etc.

Most of these things rise or fall based on who can make it when, the other factors mix in and increase difficulty level. Who knows? If someone that has/knows of a location space, it at least becomes viable. Now to get everyones schedule to fit, which has always been more or less workable.

A few members, Jaymana and Kurtgo have generously hosted a few events but it isnt fair to leave them with the heavy lifting, and they have schedules as well.

If a good idea can be thrown up and it sticks, post it up for all to see. Maybe if you build it they will come...Once in a while, all aligns perfectly. We have had a few really, really good ones where lots of members from far and wide attended, several moderator types, very good time.

Russellc

mccalljd likes this.
  8. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm kinda thinking that if there was a critical mass of people showing up at the home-hosted events, it would be an easy step to a rented venue. I never counted but it seemed like some of those Jaymanaa events had at least 20 or 30 people come and go during the day. Kurtgo's in the fall was smaller - maybe a dozen? Gotta get some numbers going.

noisefreq and mccalljd like this.
  9. mccalljd

mccalljd Active Member

Maybe if you could get some vinyl dealers and some of those who repair vintage equipment (surely they have equipment that was never picked up or paid for) plus a few of those who are running a vintage equipment business on the side (I see some of those on Craigslist), there might be enough interest to sustain renting a venue (cheap venue, that is, maybe in a smaller city just outside the KC area).

10. toxcrusadr

Similar to the St. Louis Gateway Audio Society's Audio Jumble? Seems like a great event I'd like to attend sometime.

mccalljd likes this.
  11. evolute99

evolute99 New Member

This would be a great idea. It would be nice to meet up and get know others. I need someone with some knowledge of what good speakers are.

12. mccalljd

mccalljd Active Member

So does anyone have any ideas for a venue that might be affordable if expenses could be divided up per vendor/swapper? Possibly in a surrounding suburb like Olathe or Gardner or even someplace farther north, but within reasonable distance for people from the KC area to drive?

13. kurtgo

kurtgo AK Subscriber Subscriber

There is a farm a little west of where I live. They offer storage in a lot of different "bins" they have on the property. I might stop by and see what spaces they have, like a big old barn, and see if they'd rent it for a day.

mccalljd likes this.
  14. mccalljd

mccalljd Active Member

Might be a good deal if there is adequate electricity.

15. kurtgo

No doubt.

16. kurtgo

I haven't had time to check with the farm yet, but, will soon. I'm thinking we need a get together June 2nd. What say you all? My place can still be a mtg place. With the warmer weather we can setup tables outside and in the garage.

noisefreq likes this.

17. toxcrusadr

Kurt, I was in here just yesterday and ALMOST posted wondering if anything was happening!

I think my calendar is open for June 2. :rockon:

noisefreq and kurtgo like this.
  18. opossumcrush

opossumcrush The Central Scrutinizer Subscriber

I'm in.
    Might start a thread in Events and Happenings

19. tyella

tyella AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm trying to carve it out of my calendar. Hope to see you all there!

20. Eric n Kc

Eric n Kc AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey
    I'm in. I don't have a very busy calender. So I'm usually available. Eric