Kansas City one more time!

I'd like to offer a belated "thanks" to Jay & Suzie for hosting last weekend's KC Gathering of the Clan. It was the first time I've been to one and it was great meeting some of the people I've read about on the forum.

I had no idea of what to expect when I approached Jay's house. I didn't hear any loud music so I was worried that I'd gone to the wrong place. Seeing the crowd of people and collection of stuff in the living room confirmed I was in the right place; all was good!

I didn't take many photos but I'll try to post a few here. They're mostly background type shots.

Again, thanks for a great time,
Bill

Attachments

• DSC_4629.jpg
    DSC_4629.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_4632.jpg
    DSC_4632.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_4633.jpg
    DSC_4633.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_4635.jpg
    DSC_4635.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_4630.jpg
    DSC_4630.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 42
The carvings were amazing looking in person. Nice pic.:thmbsp:
Ditto:yes:I was pretty interested,but I play 4 strings,not 6(not enuf brain cells and too many thumbs).I did like the theme. I came home with the scrimshawed skull....darn nice job.I'll give it a good home!

Rob Fetters: Righty Tight, Lefty Loose

That CD would be mine. I was wondering what the heck I did with that. Rob Fetters is a fabulous guitarist from Cincy who is also a friend of my brother. Went to many a show over there by the Raisins and later Psychodots that peeled the paint off the walls. Rob's a dad now and recovered alky and just a great guy, along with the rest of the band(s). Send back my autographed copy or bad karma will result! :D But listen to it first. :yes:

The gathering at Jay's allowed me to learn a few things about speakers. The tube set-up in the kitchen was running the celebrated Dynaco A25's when I arrived. They sounded marvelous, surprising bass and smooth upper range. I was then able to replace them with some Bowers & Wilkins DM23's I brought to sell. Nice 8 inch 3-way ported design. After a couple of songs on tubes, they were not for sale. To me they sounded better than the Dynaco's, and fuller on tubes than on the numerous SS amps they had been on. Actually they blew me away, someday they will be perfect for a small tube system in an empty kids bedroom.
On the other hand I also brought some Bozak tower speakers DMS5500. The 17.5 watts of tube power was not enough and they sounded dead and dull. Had to put them on 85 watts of SS at home to make sure they still worked !
Anyway, what I am saying is these gatherings are great for comparing equipment, particularly speakers, plus all the camaraderie. If you get a chance to attend one in your area, do it.

Thanks again Jay and Co. for a great afternoon.

I felt the same way about those speakers. I liked the Dynacos the best, and those big Bozaks didn't sound very good after them. Amazing how important the combination of components is to the final sound. I really enjoyed hearing different setups - I would never have heard any of that stuff at home!

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll say again that I think Bozak (woofers) really need the high damping factors that solid state can give. I had exactly the same results with my Urban 302s. I tried several tube amps including a pretty darn powerful ST 70, and the results were all less than satisfying. However, with solid state power (and it doesn't really seem to matter what brand), they are magic. I don't know the science involved, but I did read that there is something about the way Rudy designed that woofer to go so low that causes them to need the high damping factor. :dunno:

Everything I've heard confirms that Jay. A 40 watt SS amp drives them great, even the Symphony's. I had the Tempos on an Advent 300, 15 watt receiver and they sounded fine.

Hey Jay, one more cheer for an event well done !

Yeah I've heard a set of those same Bozaks out in Denver a while ago and loved them. They really do take some decent solid state power, but sound great on a newer high power tube amp too (what I heard them on in Denver). I almost bought those from you on CraigsList but couldn't justify the cost (read: had to pay tuition). That system I heard with the Bozaks is what got me to start paying attention to Hi-Fi equipment.

Casey

I could make it up to KC to drool over some equipment...I'd even drag the Marantz Monsters along for a sound test.

Time to start planning the next KC meet (sorry, it's hard to wait :D )
:lmao::lmao::lmao:.,.HaHa - Don't you know it! By the way Rex,I had BOTH Ampegs runnin' at a local fundraiser tonight!Packed house ,soundin' good.Can't wait to get up to KC,and see you all this spring.Heck,I was a new guy,and sorta lurkin' last fall,but you can NOT beat these get togethers. T

I might even try to talk Wayne from pi speakers to let me bring a pair of his 4pi's to play up there., Heck might even get Wayne to come.

Back
Top Bottom