kappa 8 Crossover frequencies

1gr8e320a

In the Infinity Kappa 8's would some1 know what the crossover frequency ranges are for the tweeter, midrange, midbass and woofer? Does that make sense? I'm not sure if I asked that correctly. For example what frequencies would the tweeter crossover section allow through to the tweeter itself? etc. Thanks R

Hi All,

So using the Venu360 as an external crossover, I was testing (while playing a track) to see if those above mentioned crossover points work. With one amp driving bass and another driving treble I swept the high pass and low pass filters. The amp driving the bass (plugged into those bi-amp connectors on the speaker crossover network) seemed to influence all drivers all the way up to 4kHz, especially the Mid Bass Coupler. Maybe so much juice pours in that all drivers are excited to some extent by that much power (Behringer EP4000 I think around 1500watts)? Maybe that’s how the hardware crossover is designed?

Using the mid and high speaker posts when I swept the high pass filter I never did seem to get the Mid Bass Coupler to come to life.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

I am using Crown XLS1500 (they have their own input crossovers), a Behringer EP4000 and a Venu360 for room calibration and additional frequency massaging.

I'm not sure of the type of crossover used in the Kappa 8, but the crossover frequency is not a hard cutoff, it is sloped based on the design. Having said that, though, I'd expect the removal of the jumpers on the binding posts would completely separate the woofer's crossover from the rest. You might want to check out the schematic (see link above) for more info. Keeping that in mind, your low pass frequency on your electronic crossover should be slightly higher than that of the low crossover frequency on the speaker, and likewise the high pass frequency should be lower than that same frequency, since you're still going to have the passive crossover in the circuit, and if you make both frequencies the same, no matter what slope you use, there's going to be a trough in the frequency response.

Out of respect for your profile image I finally added mine. I hope you approve.

I would not know how to read a crossover schematic. From my playing around with crossover frequencies using the Venu360 and testing just the high/mid speaker inputs and the low-end speaker inputs separately, and using steep 48db Linkwitz Riley curves, it appears at least the low-end input does influence the high/mid input but not so much the other way around.

I know the internal speaker crossovers were designed to accept full-range input, but I am trying to ease the burden on my low-end amp and eak out a bit more ‘resolution’ from my 2 Class D Crown amps that are bridged and each driving an 8Kappas high/mid section.

It looks like I may need to run the low-end amp with a less steep curve and much closer to full range. The high/mid I may be able to get away with a steeper curve and running them much less full range.

By the way, and absolutely no joke, my whole system is being tailored to play at palpable volume and with minimized sibilance and listening fatigue Genesis’ The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway....and much of Peter Gabriel’s solo work. I often pop on Trick of The Tail and Duke just to make sure those albums still play properly with all my tweeking.

Keep in touch please!

Thanks,
Brett

....and yes I am making sure to include a bit more range when I apply the external high-pass and low-pass filters just to be safe.

I approve of your avatar and your choice of music :beerchug:

Many people start out with passive biamping - that is, run both (or all - are you running bridged amps all around? amps full range. You might start out with that method and see if it provides you with enough headroom. if not, you could then experiment with the crossover to see if it improves anything. But I wouldn't use a steep slope on either side without knowing how far down the expected output is on the high and low sides past their crossover frequencies.

I am now using 4 Crown Pro Amps...two XLS 1500’s each handling the individual treble/mids of each speaker and two XLS 1502’s each handling the bass of each speaker. Yes crazy! But everything I put on now sounds good. I am using the Venu360 to remove lows from the 1500’s and to remove some highs from the 1502’s and I have employed the onboard crossovers on the 1500’s to make sure these class D amps are throwing all the PWM resolution at only the frequencies to be amplified. I guess I am technically getting at least 3000 watts per speaker...? The kappa8’s seem very happy. Lots of clarity in the middle now and strong accurate bass. Nothing woody or muddy sounding.

Just got my Carver Signature Sunfire back from the shop. Will hook it up to see what I think in comparison.

Back
Top Bottom