1. Work behind the scenes continues. AK may go offline again for additional database and or Xenforo fixes.
    Dismiss Notice

Kappa 8's

Discussion in 'Infinity Loudspeakers' started by Tia, May 7, 2018.

1. Tia

Tia Did you say birds? Subscriber

About a year and a half ago, I heard a set of Infinity's (smaller 3 way) a guy was selling. He was selling to get something "better" maintaining the same size. After an audition, I told him IMHO your not going to find anything better in the same size box (he had space constraints). I had put on a song that really showed what they could do and he decided to keep them. Since then, I have keep my eye out and last week I picked up the 8's that were listed here on BT.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/infinity-kappa-8.821160/

Initially, I ran them dual mono and last night bi-amped, one amp for highs and one for lows (horizontal bi-amping is what I think it's called). My MC 2200's have 1ohm taps, but I'm currently on the 4ohm taps. Any insight on which taps to run bi-amping or on bi-amping in general?

These are Brazilian Santos? walnut. I found a reference to 2 diff Brazilian walnuts, any insight to which one these would be made out of?
    • Ipê-amarelo / Brazilian walnut (Tabebuia serratifolia)
    • Ipê-roxo / Brazilian walnut (Tabebuia impetiginosa)
    Cheers!
    Bob
    kappa.JPG

Nemo bit, Archguy and Bahamayellow like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. swechsler

swechsler Frog Whisperer

I'd probably keep them on the 4Ω taps. Their impedance dips below that in a couple of spots but 4Ω is what they're generally considered to be rated at.

It's worth mentioning that (I think) when using Mac amps with transformers, you'll actually get more total power out of your system by running them in dual mono rather than biamping. Most people don't have the option of bridging when using 4 Ω speakers, but your amps are the exception.

Nemo bit, Archguy and Tia like this.
  3. kappa7krazy

kappa7krazy AK Subscriber Subscriber

It’s rosewood.

Nemo bit and Tia like this.
  4. Bahamayellow

Bahamayellow Well-Known Member

Very nice and welcome.

Tia likes this.
  5. 7.62

7.62 Gearhead Subscriber

Yeah !!!! Congrats on those ! I think that's the nicest pair I've ever seen. Man I was serious about driving if you didn't take them LOL how sick am I. I know nothing about the tap deal but with McIntosh power they've got to sound pretty darn good.

Nemo bit and Tia like this.
  6. Tia

I figured you might just take that drive so I knew I needed to pull the trigger, and I'm glad I did. I'm running the 4ohm taps and they do sound excellent.

Bahamayellow likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. hick.man

hick.man New Member

I recently picked up a set of kappa 8's that I am having a hell of a time driving. upon researching I came across this that states they are oak cabinets. http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/infinity-kappa-8-126.html
    Tia, are you running the switches on the lower back of the cabinet in extended mode or normal?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  8. Tia

Currently, I'm running in extended mode. The bass seems a little touchy (gets boomy easily) in extended mode so I'm going to try normal and see what happens. I just had my pre-amp serviced but haven't had the time to play around since then. Tomorrow I know I will have some free time (without the wife home) to try the normal mode. Either mode doesn't create a problem for my set up.

9. hick.man

hick.man New Member

heheh, I'm lucky my wife loves music so no worries there. they sound ok on my NAD C 375BEE but it can barley run them, if i swtch them into extended the amp goes into protection mode. I have a hafler XL600 but its not pushing them very well and it should drive them with ease so I am going to look for somewhere to have it looked at.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018