Kappa 9 Rear Port

Ashemo

Probably a really dumb question...
Is the port above the rear tweeter just an open bass port covered with fabric?

Thanks

No, it's an exit for the polydome midrange so it peforms a dipole at higher frequencies (same reason there's a rear tweeter). The woofer compartment is sealed.

I searched for an as built drawing/schematic on these speakers and can't find anything. I want to know what is behind the fabric on the rear port, if anything.

Thank you

I searched for an as built drawing/schematic on these speakers and can't find anything. I want to know what is behind the fabric on the rear port, if anything.

Thank you
If you remove the polydome you will find a 5" tube with some loose stuffing behind which is the fabric cover you refer to

Perfect! My daughter and her friend helped me move them, gently. They may have pushed in on the back port fabric by mistake when they picked it up. I wanted to make sure there was nothing behind the fabric that could have been damaged, like a dome. Appreciate the help.

Does anyone have simple as built drawings of these? I have the electrical schematics.

Thanks

Hello have you had your K9s long. I have some also. Post pics of your setup when you get a chance. I like seeing the setups.

I just got them. I will be setting them up this weekend. They are very nice - black version. I will initially be using Denon POA-6600 monoblocks paired with the matching preamp, tuner and CD player. This is the setup as bought when new. I hear a lot about power requirements but the original owner said he bought the system new in this configuration and has had no issues. I will post pictures next week.

I am currently using a Sansui BA/CA 2000 amp/preamp paired with and Accuphase T-100 tuner and Sony ES CD player. Also Klipsch Lascala speakers upgraded with Bob Crites crossovers and tweeters. Sounds really awesome but I anticipate the K9's will sound better and I always wanted a pair.

The Kappas are a wholly different type of speaker. I've never owned a pair of Klipsch but would be curious as to how they compare.

I have looked online for some comparisons. I haven’t really found anything. I’m curious too. The closer I get to setting the K9s up this weekend, the better the lascalas sound. Funny how that works...

I’m keeping both regardless.

I’ll let you know.

I just got them. I will be setting them up this weekend. They are very nice - black version. I will initially be using Denon POA-6600 monoblocks paired with the matching preamp, tuner and CD player. This is the setup as bought when new. I hear a lot about power requirements but the original owner said he bought the system new in this configuration and has had no issues. I will post pictures next week.

I am currently using a Sansui BA/CA 2000 amp/preamp paired with and Accuphase T-100 tuner and Sony ES CD player. Also Klipsch Lascala speakers upgraded with Bob Crites crossovers and tweeters. Sounds really awesome but I anticipate the K9's will sound better and I always wanted a pair.

If I'm remembering correctly, High Performance Review magazine reviewed the Denon POA-6600 amps when released. I don't remember much about the review now, other than a mention that Denon owned and used a pair of Kappa 9's for amp testing. Just to make sure their amps could drive a low impedance. So, that Denon stack should work for you...! :biggrin:

When I was auditioning to purchase the 1st gen k9's on those amps, the guy was pushing the 9's over the 8's and was playing the 9's pretty loud when the denons went up in white smoke, he tried to lower the volume ASAP but it was too late, damage done, I then told him... I will take the 8's, true story.

If the denons aren’t stable under this load what do you recommend? I would like to keep it simple and not run separate power sources for the top and bottom end if possible. I’m not sure about adjusting the gains, etc. Maybe there is a thread that could walk me through biamping correctly as I have had highly efficient speakers in the past. This is a new game for me.

I do have a PA amp I could power the bottom end with and run the denons on the top end but I guess that would be a compromise in sound quality.

I am wondering if the shop you were at had the woofers set to extended mode? I plan on setting it at normal mode to lessen the overall load.

Maybe I should save for a threshold, krell or ML ?

I would say hook them up just be careful with the volume, maybe check to see how hot the amps get. That’s what I did when I hooked up my carver amps. One couldn’t cut it but 2 in bi amp mode is a different speaker. I not sure how big ur room is. Mine is very small. So I don’t need to crank them very high. Also I’m running the bass in normal mode on the switch and its got plenty. No sub required. It will hit Deep bass notes if the music has it.

I’ll give the denons a try in normal mode. My living room is fairly small. I play my lascalas pretty loud. I live in the country so nobody yells at me. Maybe louder than pretty loud...

A relatively inexpensive amp that should be able to handle the K9s no problem is the Aragon 4004. No problems with super-low impedance loads and can put out 400 watts/channel into 4 ohms.

Perfect. Is the 8008 better? I saw one recently for a reasonable price. How is the sound quality of these amps? I really only want to do this once. I have a lot of lesser powered amps as a result of incremental upgrades. I should have just went big the first time...

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom