1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Kappa Polydome Repair Part Update

Discussion in 'Infinity Loudspeakers' started by Bobbyd38, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Bobbyd38

Bobbyd38 AK Subscriber Subscriber

My Kappa Polydome replacement part project is progressing. Received prototype Rev 2, and successfully built up into driver. Testing begins this week. FYI, when available I’m going to offer both Raw Domes, and complete New Coil/Done assemblies, and they will be reasonable. Final product will have a matte finish similar to originals.

E3E2054F-C33F-47C8-9D02-070904B098BA.jpeg

Please register to disable this ad.

2. markuus3889

markuus3889 Diatom, what's that?

Thank you for your efforts.

Mark K.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  3. Bahamayellow

Bahamayellow Well-Known Member

They look great

Bobbyd38 likes this.
  4. okeeteekid

okeeteekid Well-Known Member

They look nice!

Bobbyd38 likes this.
  5. Bobbyd38

I can’t wait to test, and compare to some oem polydomes I have. First I have to build a Test plate/Jig for my Anechoic chamber. Hope to have some results by the end of the week.

6. Speedbump71

Speedbump71 Buried in speakers Subscriber

I'm watching with great interest. I have a couple sets of Polydomes that need some work. I have been leaning Millersound, but these look great!

lilwing, CDELON and Bobbyd38 like this.

7. 432HzBob

432HzBob Addicted Member

Love them Polydomes!
    They really bring out the mids nice and your repairs look great.
    Keep em running another 30 years dude!
    You do Arnie Nudell and the boys at Infinity proud.

Bobbyd38 likes this.
  8. Bobbyd38

I think Arnie would get a kick out of the idea a former Bose Guy is helping to keep some of his best speakers from being Salvaged for parts... Instead they can continue to be enjoyed! I wonder if Dr. Bose and he ever met?

musicman95 and 7.62 like this.
  9. Ross6860

Ross6860 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I can offer another set of OEM Polydomes for testing if you want a bigger data set.

I'll pull them from my Kappa 7.1 Series II.

I will want them back when you're done...

Bobbyd38 likes this.
  10. Bobbyd38

That’s a great offer, thanks. But I have Kappa 9’s, and 2 pairs of Kappa 7’s with good dome’s. I’ll be pulling from both to use as a baseline reference. FYI, Once I get a few prototypes, I’m considering sending out some loaners to Infinity Owners to evaluate and do some reviews. It would have to be on a volunteer basis, as any form of compensation wouldn’t be cool. I want completely unbiased reviews. I’ve been working on these for 9 months, I’m psyched!
    Thanks again,
    Bob

11. Pineapple83

Pineapple83 New Member

I just destroyed a pair of polydomes that I have had since new. I am beyond pissed at myself. I am very interested to see the results of your testing!

Bobbyd38 likes this.

12. Bobbyd38

That’s a bummer, sorry!
    I enjoy doing restorations to more than just Audio gear, and I saw all these (to me) inferior and expensive attempts at repairing, restoring, or replacing these and thought there’s got to be a better way? It should be as close to the original as possible in my mind. In both performance and appearance. So I started by having the orig material analyzed, which is key, and we’re getting close.
    Thanks,
    Bob

13. markuus3889

Hi Bob,

I am very appreciative you have taken on this endeavor and am very much looking forward to your offerings! With the dome offering minus the voice coil and ring is there any way to provide a jig of some kind so we can rebuild our originals.

My intention is to buy some complete drop in dome assemblies but also buy domes to rebuild my originals for spares.

Thank you again for what you are doing here,

Mark K.

Bobbyd38 and Pineapple83 like this.
  14. Tedrick

Tedrick Infinity-phile Subscriber

The new domes look just awesome. Thanks for taking on this project.

15. swechsler

swechsler Frog Whisperer

Bobby, when selling raw domes, any idea what sort of a jig will be required to attach them to the old hardware? Is it something that a casual DIYer like myself would be able to do, or is strictly for the hardcore (e.g. who wind their own voice coils :) ) folks?

16. Bobbyd38

Hi Mark, unfortunately an alignment Jig for these cost more than the speakers they go in. It needs to be machined, therefore very high cost. That’s why I’m going the route of supplying the entire assembly. I’ve personally assembled one of these and it was very slow and tedious. But hey, the guy on eBay who sells the (crappy) Silicone Domes will sell you a Jig for $800 LOL!

17. markuus3889

Thank you for the reply! Will you still offer the diaphragms without the rest of the assembly too or not?

I might like to still try my hand at some rebuilding.

Thanks,

Mark K.

Bobbyd38 likes this.
  18. Bobbyd38

Absolutely and they will be affordable.

markuus3889 likes this.
  19. swechsler

swechsler Frog Whisperer

Could a less expensive jig be 3D printed?

markuus3889 and Bobbyd38 like this.
  20. Bobbyd38

I suppose it could, but first needs to be designed in CAD, then printed, of which I have experience in neither... old school drafting only, more experience in electronics and acoustics. Somebody wants to take that on, I could supply details. But GREAT Idea! Thanks!