Kappa Polydome Repair Part Update

Discussion in 'Infinity Loudspeakers' started by Bobbyd38, Oct 1, 2018.

1. swechsler

swechsler Frog Whisperer

Pretty sure we have members here with the ability to do that, question is whether any of them are Infinity owners...

Please register to disable this ad.

2. CDELON

CDELON Active Member

It's fortunate that I held off on getting my polydomes redomed. When you are confident in the results and ready to put them on the market. I'll be ready to be a customer.
    Put me on your list to contact when it's ready.

tater415 likes this.
  3. vinerp

vinerp New Member

Good evening. Would not it be possible to produce only this structure that resembles a plug-and-play repair?

Attached Files:

Bobbyd38 likes this.
  4. markuus3889

markuus3889 Diatom, what's that?

Hi Vinerp,

This is exactly what Bob at American Vintage Audio (AVA) is trying to accomplish! It's referred to as the "Coil/Dome assembly".

Mark K.

Bobbyd38 and vinerp like this.
  5. CDELON

CDELON Active Member

This would put a tremendous amount of polydomes back in play.

Bobbyd38 likes this.
  6. tuffstuff1

tuffstuff1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

7. Phaceless56

Phaceless56 New Member

Well I spoke to Bill at Miller Sound not only did he convince me he new what he is doing he said I would love the finished repair we will hear soon. I will look for another set in need of repair I really want to try this repair and compare the two so hurry up and take your time we want this done right ha ha

Bobbyd38 likes this.
  8. sagebug

sagebug Active Member

Is it Christmas yet? haha! (subscribed!)

Bobbyd38 likes this.
  9. Speedbump71

Speedbump71 Buried in speakers Subscriber

Updates??

Bobbyd38 likes this.
  10. Phaceless56

Phaceless56 New Member

I Recieved my Poly-Domes back from MILLERSOUND Thanks Bill they sound awesome IMOP wow I was a little worried hearing this and that about certain repairs to these speakers A guy in hong Kong Another in Germany ???? Millersound did it right I'm impressed I bought this pair of Kappa 7.1 for $30 1 bad tweeter replaced with a motorola horn tweeter the poly-domes falling apart and the cabinets (black) looked like they sat in the rain and sun now Sonoma Red stained they really do look and sound great and I had a great time restoring them can't wait to find my next pair of kappa's to restore listening to Eagles hell freezes over right now christmas came early HAHAHA!!!!!!!

CDELON and seifreit like this.
  11. CDELON

CDELON Active Member

Where are the pics? Would love to see the 7.1s in Sonoma red. That would be cool.

12. Phaceless56

Phaceless56 New Member

ok Here they are I love the color a lot better then they were if I find before pics i'll post those later I made a few mistakes here and ther but that gives them more character already found cabinets kappa 9 clean $40 or another pair of kappa 7.1 cabinets also very clean $65 but I might talk him down a buck or 2 for my next restore

Attached Files:

13. CDELON

CDELON Active Member

Beautiful! Well done.

14. Phaceless56

Phaceless56 New Member

here are some before pics just for kicks

Attached Files:

15. swechsler

swechsler Frog Whisperer

@Phaceless56, I just noticed these pics, you really did a beautiful job. What did you use for stripping them?

16. Phaceless56

Phaceless56 New Member

I'm pretty sure it was paint not stain so I took a chance. I started by cleaning them real good soap and water (dawn) then I started sanding 120 gritt then 220 to finish and it worked I did not take too much off the thickness of the veneer , but I will say there were some scratches kind of deep so I took a little more in certain spots then i used Minwax Pre-Stain wood conditioner to rub it down remove any oil residue let them sit a few days bought a real nice paint brush and started staining I chose Minwax Penetrating Stain SEDONA RED 222 followed the directions on the can last I sealed it with Minwax Oil Modified Polyurethane Clear Satin once it dried I rubbed them out just gettin to know them up close and personal I went 3 times on the stain I noticed the red comes out more with each application some lite sanding between applications

17. lilwing

lilwing CAGE FREE AUDIO ZOO Subscriber

:lurk: customer here with polydomes awaiting new life. Speaking of which I'm 67 so I only have so much time. But here's hoping the NEO domes out-live me.

Bobbyd38 likes this.
  18. 7.62

7.62 Gearhead Subscriber

I hope the lack of response means we're spilling beers and burning the midnight oil. I also hope we get a big release of both the polydome & Emim diaphragm maybe together and keep him busy with sales. I've got a Capitol One Card set aside for just such a day.

So you guys better be fast cause " I'M IN " on the Emim !

Bobbyd38 likes this.
  19. rxter

rxter New Member

Looks just like HAL.

Attached Files:

• HAL.png
      HAL.png
      File size:
      227.6 KB
      Views:
  20. TomBig58

TomBig58 AK Subscriber Subscriber