Kate Bush 'Aerial'

theophile

Pheasant Plucker
Subscriber
Once again a search of this forum showed no matches.
Unlike my search for Tori Amos,this time there wasn't even a single mention in any thread at all. :scratch2:
So let me be the first person to introduce a mention of this Artist to this AK forum.
Now to the subject of this post.
Kate's album 'Aerial'.
Very individual.This is an album which would never be confused with(or seem derivative of)anyone else's work.Which makes it impossible to compare stylistically.
Okay,this is not a heavy album(as in punk,metal,thrash.rock)nor is it dance music,rap,hip-hop.
It has very interesting rhythmic qualities without being overly rooted in rhythm.The melodies carry the songs.
It's almost soothing to listen to,but somehow that would imply an album lacking substance,which is not the case at all.
It's an intelligent album without being overtly intellectual.
It is interesting,and moreish.It's a 'grower',repeated listens increase the respect and interest,with which one holds the album.
It's not a singer's showcase(like for example Eva Cassidy's Songbird),yet Kate's voice is very melodic,but un-'showy'.
It's very natural music.By that I don't mean that it's unplugged,solely acoustic based,but it has an unforced nature.Everything flows very nicely,yet the music isn't 'limp' and 'insipid'.There's enough going on to maintain the listener's interest but it feels the opposite of being 'forced' or 'contrived'.
I've never been a big fan of her body of work(her body itself is another story...),but her 1985 album 'Hounds of Love',I heard a few years ago and I have grown to appreciate this woman's talent for writing(and performing) interesting,individualistic compositions.
For anyone who likes intelligent 'non-pop' music from their female artists,I can recommend this album and this artist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Bush

I bought this CD when it was released. Played every few weeks and I still like it. Kate came on the radio for an intaview with Mark Radcliffe when the album came out. Its very rare for her to do that and it was a very inturesting talk. Its said that it will be her last album, I hope not but I think its probably right.

I own quite a few of Kate Bush's CDs and LPs. I have always been a fan of this bravely individualistic woman and her work, some of it admittedly better than others. Definitely an acquired taste, Aerial is one I like and generally recommend.
Tom

Hounds of Love is probably my favorite. Aerial was very good and a great vinyl release btw. She is a singular talent imo.
Thanks for bringing it up
Mike

I never gave her a chance until I started dating my current girlfriend who is kind of obsessed with her. Once you acquire the taste for how different she sounds, wow..she is amazingly talented, especially considering how young she was when she recorded her first album. Maybe that's what I'll listen to this morning.

The wikipedia link at the bottom of my first post is interesting reading.
I've got 'Aerial' and 'Hounds of Love' both on vinyl.
The 'Hounds of Love' pressing I've got is a special EMI pressing from their '1997 First Centenary' Series 180 gm pressing.
Both great albums.

ml69,I love the thumbnail photo of Todd. :thmbsp:

I was thinking "Kate Bush" when I was readin' your "Tori Amos" post :)
Who's next, Edie Brickell?

I think you will find threads here on Ani DiFranco...

mrh,
I've heard the comparisons of Tori to Kate.
I don't buy it.Not at all. :no:
To me they are completely different artist with completely different artistic vision.
Both wonderful. :thmbsp:

Next...
Might have to be the group War. :D

The wikipedia link at the bottom of my first post is interesting reading.
I've got 'Aerial' and 'Hounds of Love' both on vinyl.
The 'Hounds of Love' pressing I've got is a special EMI pressing from their '1997 First Centenary' Series 180 gm pressing.
Both great albums.

ml69,I love the thumbnail photo of Todd. :thmbsp:

I also have the special EMI press of Hounds of Love - somewhere along the way, I lost my original. You really might want to give a listen to "The Dreaming" which is her next release after HOL. I don't listen to it as much as HOL or Aerial, but it's right up there in my favorites. It's a very different lp, but imo very enjoyable.
Mike

I've been a fan since the late '70's. She got me hooked with "Wuthering Heights". She was 19 when she recorded that. "Aerial" is a great album with intelligent, creative music that's typical Kate Bush. There's nobody like her.

Indeed, there is nobody like her ... My wife is a huge fan and we have all her releases,
even the King of the Mountain CD single with her take on "Sexual Healing" (the uilleann pipes really make it special)

I am still awaiting the release of a concert Bluray of her sold-out shows of 2014 ...

Last edited:
Just never enjoyed AERIAL.
Tried it several times but never quite acquired the taste.
Very different from her early stuff.
Frankly, I don't think she has ever bettered THE KICK INSIDE.
YMMV...

KATE BUSH Aerial.jpg

KATE BUSH The Kick Inside.jpg

Kate Bush has a substantial catalog to explore. "Hounds Of Love", "The Dreaming" and "The Kick Inside" are absolutely the work of a genius that shouldn't be missed. Peter Gabriel fans will find much to love here.

Back
Top Bottom