Keep Cambridge audio or change everything

CharlyNor

Hi There!

Here it's my first post on Audiokarma, I am been listening music the last ten years with set up

Amplifier: Cambridge Audio Azur 340
Cd player: Cambridge audio 340c
Turntable: Thorens TD150 with shure 95ed
Speakers: Eltax liberty 3+

I have been listening lately some other set up in shops and I have been really surprised to hear how bad my system was!!! I knew it was no great but I didn't expect some much difference. At home everything sounds like packed, no clear, not very punchy, basically It sounds very bad...
What should I change first to try to to improve the sound? or should I sell everything execpt the Thorens and start with better basics? I wouldn't mind to buy some vintage equipment instead of some new. My parents had a Harman Kardon 430 with some big Cabasse speakers and It sounded amazing.

Many thanks for your helps.

What should I change first to try to to improve the sound?

My gut reaction would be to audition different speakers, as IMO that appears to be your "weakest link". Those are not that efficient and have limited ability in the low end without a subwoofer. If you like their highs and mids, you may just need to add a powered sub (or two) to give you the "punch" that you are lacking.

Unless you are hell-bent on replacing everything, I always recommend changing one component at a time to see what difference that makes, rather than the "shotgun" approach where you don't really know what difference one specific item swap made. Change one thing at a time and listen for a while--if still not pleased, try changing something else and listen again. I don't think that your Cambridge pieces are your "problem"--I'd swap out speakers first in your case, but that is just me FWIW.

Have to agree with savatage1973 for the most part. Cambridge makes some nice stuff, Thorens should be pretty nice as well. Probably best bet at this time is to switch out the speakers.

+1, speakers have the biggest impact on what we're hearing, good or bad.

That said, my first concern before spending any serious dough re me would be A) speaker placement, and B) room accoustics. Once satisfied these were addressed to the extent asthetiques, wallet, and room dimensions would allow then see if equipment changes are still in order.

As already suggested, a couple of inexpensive subwoofers can do wonders for the bottom end, and let's face it, the bass is what the rest of the musical structure is supported by.

Yeah, really hard to make suggestions without hearing your setup. Placement could be a probably as well. Again, go the speaker route, then maybe add a sub.

Couldn't find much info on the speaks, rear ported not usually my cup of tea.

That said, they look well made, consumer reviews are positive, but they ARE power hungry compact speakers.

My suggestion, first, if not on quality stands get some and position them for optimum soundstaging. Then purchase two 12" subs like the Dayton 1200 from Parts Express, set them just inside of the speaker's respective stands and connect them in stereo, meaning one for the left channel and the other for the right. With this kind of set up, the subs dialed in correctly (hint, don't over do the bass), it should alter the sound structure only to make your speakers sound MUCH LARGER.

With your mains not being asked to reproduce the lower octaves they will open up and play much louder and cleaner without being stressed. Plus with the subs handling the lower octaves the amplifier won't be taxed as much allowing more headroom for the all important midrange and high frequecies.

This will be much cheaper than totally replacing your speakers, and if you eventually go that route a pair of subs is always a good thing.

Last edited:
A set of speakers I've owned since 1991 and will never part with sound fantastic on their own, good bass punch for their size but definitely lacking in the lowest fundamentals. Quite power hungry little bastards but with only a 5 1/4" mid/bass driver their ultimate output is fairly restricted.

All this changes and they become real giant killers with the mating sub. Frequency response 22hz - 45khz +/- 2db with strong bass below 18hz.

Little speakers became popular for reasons other than space saving and cost, it's hard for a large speaker to disappear the way a quality little speaker can.

1465739858092-559680516.jpg

Upgrade the speakers before anything else. Then possibly upgrade the 340 amp. Other than that you have a nice system.

Hi! Thanks for all your answers, I will try to find some good speakers!
What do you think about some second hand B&W DM 603 S3? Is it a good all around speaker?
here is a photo of the system, then you can appreciate the placement...it's is quiet small ( 18m2)
11113834_10153965979980884_134548460077309133_n.jpg

After seeing the pictures I have three recommendations before you replace any equipment. First, move the speakers out away from the wall, they need some breathing room. Second, a large area rug, hard wood floors are great but don't do much for your systems sound quality. Third, if unable to do 1 and 2 don't bother throwing money away on new equipment.

Last edited:
Yeah, move the speakers away from the back wall. Second the large area rug suggestion. Turntable too close to speaker.

I agree with the folks suggesting you move your current rear ported speakers out from the wall. Even a couple of inches should help. I would also try to move them outside of the plants and toe them in slightly.

Interesting that when I googled this speaker the first this I saw was this description.

Eltax Liberty 3+ £150 Jan 98 A lot of loudspeaker for the money. Punch and slam in the bass but sometimes thin in the treble.

What do you think about some second hand B&W DM 603 S3? Is it a good all around speaker?
here is a photo of the system, then you can appreciate the placement...it's is quiet small ( 18m2)

BTW, the 603's (being front ported) may help if you have to keep the speakers near the rear wall, but even B&W suggests a minimum of a half meter from the front baffle to the wall.

Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 10.20.36 AM.png

This is from the B&W setup manual.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/downloads/product/manual/eng_fp12416_dm603-s3_manual.pdf

After looking at the pictures, definitely spread those speakers apart. I can't imagine you're getting any soundstage with that setup, with the speakers so close together what you're hearing is probably almost mono sounding.

Those Eltax liberty 3+ should deliver superb sound in that room.

The bones are there, you just gotta work with it a bit.

Speaker positioning and room treatments are the cheapest and easiest upgrades ever! Buy some beer, invite a few friends over, listen to some music, and move those speakers around. Get them off the wall and spread them apart! You'll notice big differences, for sure.

Hey everyone! I managed to move the speaker the side the side of the room, they are also not to close of the wall eighter, it sounds already much better more, thank for your precious helps!! but still I miss somehow clarity, it sounds a bit packed ,not so well defined. I tried Cd and Lp same result. So I still might want to change the speakers. I am listening all type of music from baroque music to minimal techno...I really like when the sound is really sharp but also warm, I am not a fan of cold and to neutral speaker.

I once owned a Cambridge Audio Azur 640 integrated amp and I never thought it sounded very good. There always seemed to be a veil of electronic hash. I tried a power cord, grounded or not but I could never get it to sound as good as my old Rotel integrated amp and was easily bested by an Onkyo class D integrated amp. My suggestion is a new integrated amp.

Back
Top Bottom