Keep Cambridge audio or change everything

I owned Cambridge 640 and 650 integrated's as well as a Rotel RA 1062. To sum up the Cambridge sound I would say it has great detail and PRaT but an upper-mid/high end that can be unbearable with some recordings. Match it with the wrong source/speakers/cables and you're in for a world of pain. Properly matched they can be fun little amps but limited. The Rotel felt very clumsy in comparison and I never really got along with it. I can't speak for the newer versions of these two manufacturers. If I were looking for a budget amp today I'd check out the NAD 316 BEE or the Yamaha A-S301/501 models. I ''borrowed'' a PM6005 last year and could have easily lived with it as well. It came up short but wasn't embarrassed by my much more more expensive Naim. As far as speakers go entry level B&W are good all rounders and play well with a wide variety of amps but older models sound too muffled for my tastes. The newer ones 685 S2 are better but probably out of your price range. I'm not familiar with Eltax but many popular inexpensive stand mounts from Dali, Pioneer, Elac, JBL, etc are worth checking out.

another vote for speaker placement then speakers if that doesn't do it. I`ve got a couple of cambridge pieces and like the wolfson dacs in them. I don`t think changing amps would make as big of a difference unless you are way underpowered and listen at high volume a lot..just my 2 cents worth fwiw...

Definitely speakers the eltax are good for what they are but are ment for a small room and will struggle in a large room. The b&w will be a better match for the size of your room and maybe see if you can get better placement for them and go from there.

I have and use two Cambridge Audio Amps. One is a small integrated that I use with the living room television. The other is used in a 5.1 surround sound setup. For that purpose. The "crisp" sound I get helps to bring out the dialog and sound effects of movies. I don't care for them as a music amp. That crisp sound tends to get harsh.

For music, I'd change amps unless you like a hot sound.

I have the opportunity to get a really cheap Marantz PM6005 amplifier, do you think it could be a good idea?

It certainly has received good reviews. If it is a truly great deal, why not buy it, give it a listen and see what you think. Highly rated good deals are easy to resell if you do not like it.

Try this. Place the speakers in each far corner of the room by the windows. You will have to move the table and chairs and bookshelf to where the system is now. This way you'll "corner load" the speakers and get a bit more bump in music and allow them to breath.
Otherwise if you like warm I'd HIGHLY recommend Wharfedales Denton's, Diamond series or Infinity P163. All will handle that room beautifully and not be to bright.

Also definitely get a big room rug for that floor. It'll dampen the echo.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom