Keep it? Donate it? Help!

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by Ronald1973, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Ronald1973

Ronald1973 8-trackin', Hank, Sr. man

I have a worthless 70's console stereo that belonged to my parents. As far as consoles go, this Magnavox was top of the line for the day, but it needs so much work.

My dad ruined the turntable. The volume control needs to be replaced (cleaning isn't doing it). I had the 8-track repaired in 2006, but now the motor has stalled again. The radio was working good, but the dial string broke the other day when I tried it out. The cabinet is in okay shape...a 7 out of a 10 if it gets some needed TLC quick.

I don't have room for it, really. I had put it in my teenager's closet for storage. I took it out the other day to clean it up and found it full of trash and a few dead rodents due to the trash my kid had thrown in it before moving out. Ugh! I sat it on the front porch and it's gotten rained on a couple of times, but it can still be salvaged, at least cosmetic wise.

Is it worth even bringing back in? I thought about loading it up and taking it to Goodwill where that maybe someone with time on their hands could do something with it. On the other hand, gosh darn it, it has so much sentimental value! On the other other hand, I can't save everything from my childhood! What if Goodwill just throws it in a trash bin? I'm at a bad place here, and I need my AK folks to give me advice.

Help?!?!?!?!

2. eiraved

eiraved AK Subscriber Subscriber

Pictures? Nudies? Model number? Top of the line for most equipment has value, so don't keep us waiting...

3. Ronald1973

Oh, it's just a 70's all in one console stereo. It's nothing that's going to fetch anything.

4. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

It's called "Curb Alert".

Take a photo, put it in "Free Stuff" on CL with "Curb Alert", your address, and the photo. Then set it out on the curb with a "free" sign on it.

Saves you a dump fee.

beat_truck likes this.
  5. beat_truck

beat_truck Super Member

This.
    Many thrift stores do shitcan electronics that aren't working properly. Maybe someone on CL might save it.

6. Ronald1973

No curb here, just a gravel road with lots of trucks and farm equipment. It would be in pieces in my ditch within 2 hours.

7. danrclem

danrclem Super Member

Depends on how strong your sentimental value is. If it's not strong enough then put it on craigslist for free.

8. krimney

krimney Super Member

convert the cabinet into something else. You said the cabinet is ok, Gut the electronics (which seem to be all broken anyways), this will make unit lighter. Use the cabinet to store booze in, turn it into a work bench. that way you can still look at your parents stuff and give it some new pupose.

9. teal'c

teal'c It's all moo

And you expect someone else to determine your amount of sentimentality?

If it were me and I'm keeping it despite having dead animals inside I'd figure I was planning on keeping it.

10. Ronald1973

Gee, Wally, I was hoping you'd help the old Beaver make a decision! :p

11. turnitdown

turnitdown Not well known Subscriber

Been there. Take the logo off and mount it on something you do use. You'll still have the memories without the headaches.

12. PioneerGuy75

PioneerGuy75 Certified Lurker

Most thrift stores dont take em anymore.