Keep Santa Paula & Ventura CA in your thoughts!

Very sad, five people have been found dead so far. Elcoholic, I hope your Aunt and Uncle are OK.
I’m sorry the house was hit. Glad your folks got out.

The water/mud hit at 3:30am. My uncle’s caregiver swam for help. The paramedics got them out and to a church evac center w/o power. Much Later the National Guard got them out. My Aunt is OK, but my uncle and caregiver are in a hospital for evaluation and treatment got hyperthermia. I fear the house with it’s wonderful live oaks may be a total loss. I’m worried about my Uncle Reno. He’s pushing 90 and suffers dimensia.

I'm so sorry Elco. At least they are alive and accounted for I guess. 13 confirmed dead and dozens unaccounted for in a small community (maybe 7000). 300 people trapped in Romero Canyon with no access. Flying out tomorrow night to access damages and help where I can, will likely be there for months helping parents, but they are safe in hotel and there are many more in need. I've been unsuccessful in contacting neighbors, one of whom (a 90 y.o. woman) I hear has lost her home (off it's foundation). Nobody knows where she is, even her son, a good friend. All we can do is pray at his point. Not sure why the Feds haven't pitched in to help, but feel if this occurred on the East coast, all hands would be on deck. Sorry, but very cynical and down right pissed right now. NWS says over a 1/2 inch rain fell per minute this morning. Their flash flood models figure worst case about 0.08 inch/min. Historical, even Biblical, but no F-ing federal response. :mad:

Elco- I'll be in the area for a long time starting Thursday so if there is anything I can do, even just a check-in, please don't hesitate to PM me. Thankfully, those in the medical community are on it. I'm trying to organize a team of heavy equipment owners/operators to get to work immediately on clean up (which is currently being ignored by everyone but Caltrans it seems). Let me know if there is anything I can do - seriously!

Last edited:
I'm so sorry Elco. At least they are alive and accounted for I guess. 13 confirmed dead and dozens unaccounted for in a small community (maybe 7000). 300 people trapped in Romero Canyon with no access. Flying out tomorrow night to access damages and help where I can, likely there for months helping parents, but they are safe in hotel and many more in need. I've been unsuccessful in contacting neighbors, one of whom (a 90 y.o. woman) I hear has lost her home (off it's foundation). Nobody knows where she is, even her son, a good friend. All we can do is pray at his point. Not sure why the Feds haven't pitched in to help, but feel if this occurred on the East coast, all hands would be on deck. Sorry, but very cynical and down right pissed right now. NWS says over a 1/2 inch rain fell per minute this morning. Their flash flood models figure about 0.08 inch/min. Historical, even Biblical, but no F-ing federal response. :mad:

Elco- I'll be in the area for a long time starting Thursday so if there is anything I can do, even just a check-in, please don't hesitate to PM me. Thankfully, those in the medical community are on it. I'm trying to organize a team of heavy equipment owners/operators to get to work immediately on clean up (which is currently being ignored by everyone but Caltrans it seems). Let me know if there is anything I can do - seriously!
Good luck and thanks. Keep us posted.

Weren't these storms and the ensuing flooding forecast days ago.
What a horrible waste of life!
I'll tell you, yes, but many have gone through a long fire evacuation that ruined their holidays and did not significantly affect their homes. Then they finally get back in and are told rain is coming. So many stayed, figuring it would be an inconvenience at worst. Even the NWS did not predict the amount of rain that came in such a short period of time. Nobody in history has seen this level of rainfall in such short time. In fact, some of the worst damage came to areas that were not evacuated because the stupid pencil pushers do evacuations by landmark streets rather than by flood zones. Please don't blame people for just wanting to be in their home, this was a biblical event!

I certainly would not want be people to be inconvenienced any more than they already have.
I've hiked Hot Spring Trail.
If I had a home anywhere close to the mouth of that canyon and flood watches enacted, I'd have had second third and fourth thoughts about staying put.
image.jpg

wow.
I was just on Bing Maps, and poking around, now that I have some sort of bearing on where this was happening; the mention of Hot Springs road.
Yeah, that canyon looks to be worrisome.
I'm assuming, Phantomrebel, that you are up near the mouth of the canyon?
John,... same?

That seems to be a mighty distance for that to have impacted all the way down to the 101. wow.

Mike, no they’re just a bit off the 101. Long Way from the canyon. Crazy shit, nothing like the usual proximity of mudslides to fires. 30 miles of 101 shut down.

I’m sorry the house was hit. Glad your folks got out.

The water/mud hit at 3:30am. My uncle’s caregiver swam for help. The paramedics got them out and to a church evac center w/o power. Much Later the National Guard got them out. My Aunt is OK, but my uncle and caregiver are in a hospital for evaluation and treatment got hyperthermia. I fear the house with it’s wonderful live oaks may be a total loss. I’m worried about my Uncle Reno. He’s pushing 90 and suffers dimensia.

Sayin' a prayer of healing for your aunt, uncle and their caregiver.

I was wondering why this thread popped up again...

You guy's I don't know what to say other than I'm sorry you all are having this to go though this crap. I just seen a small report on the news and how big of a mess it is right know, and 101 being closed. Hopefully the rain is slowing down like it is up north here.

Sending prayers

Back
Top Bottom