Keepsake Box For My Friend

elcoholic

Jet Fuel Genius
Subscriber
It'll be year on the 5th since my best friend passed away. At the memorial service I asked people to write him or his family a letter with their thoughts and favorite memories. I just finished this memory box for the book and whatever else his wife wants to keep in it. Doug was a gifted woodworker - Chris Craft runabouts to fine furniture to houses. He made several large dovetailed chests of mahogany with coved sides so I did the same. The box appears to float above the base rails. The top is adapted from a traditional Japanese tool box with a tapered, dovetailed wedge closure. Fitting for a master. It's figured maple and purple heart and finished with boiled linseed oil, shellac and wax. I really like this form and will likely use it for my son's numbered Green Beret Yarborough knife. Might even do a similar turntable plinth (obligatory audio tie-in ;)) some day. Thanks for looking.

IMG_0080.jpg IMG_0081.jpg IMG_0083.jpg

Very nice tribute elco.
I'm sorry about your friend.
It's hard to say goodbye to special friends and what you have done will certainly go towards keeping his memory alive.
I've been where you are twice in recent years.
One friend suicided, and the other from a heart attack. Both mid 40s too.
We should never forget our good friends.
Good on you :thumbsup:

A gift from the heart, such as this, is something to be treasured. The craftsmanship and level of detail you put into this is incredible....I tip my hat to you, Sir !

Beautiful workmanship, and a beautiful thought. He must have been a special guy to have such a good friend.

Back
Top Bottom