KEF 103.2 budget crossover Rebuild

Salbreth1

KEF 103.2 budget crossover rebuild, completed

Hello guys,

So I made a big score at a local flea market last week and got this pair of Kef 103.2's for $50! Their in excellent condition including the grilles. Lucky me!

These were built from 1980-1985 according to kef. So after 30+ years the electrolytics are likely out of spec or worse. After some research, I also found a common problem with the caps in the S-stop circuit eroding the board.

My plan was to replace all of the electrolytic capacitors with metalized polypropylene films which wont deviate so much from their capacitance with frequency and temperature, and replace all the resistors with non inductive high tolerance wirewounds. all without going broke.

These drivers in these were matched to their crossovers for their target frequency response. I would't recommend changing the values of these parts. That said, the values were identical in each cabinet.
The original cans have a tolerance of 10% and resistors 5%.

For about $50, I was able to achieve this from available parts at digikey!

So first, The original crossovers have a center nut as well as double sided tape on each corner. Don't pull straight up or you may damage the board. Once the nut is off, carefully twist left and right to break the bond. then 2 nuts for the wires to the binding posts, spade connectors pull off for the LED, and I snipped the wires at the woofer and at the crimp connection to the tweeter. The woofers have different serial numbers and though the parts are identical , I would mark them so they go back into the same cabinet.

As you can see, there is erosion from the bad caps in the s-stop circuit. The trace was actually eaten away. After cleaning it, I pushed a thick resistor lead through the holes to make sure all the acid was out.

After checking all of the original parts, I found that most of them were within their tolerance range. Of course the leaking caps were shot, but both of the 1.5uf cap were about 150% out! Also both of the 7uf caps were just out of the 10% range.

The lead spacing on these parts was almost to good to be true. Everything seemed to fit snug with a little offset of the leads here and there. The 4.2uf cap was piggied with a 3.9uf, .22uf and .1uf to get me to 4.22uf and in tolerance. The 2 big 300uf cans are a 35hz high pass filter and were dead on when checked, so I left them alone.

I used the capacitor leads to repair the eaten traces and cleaned everything up with isopropyl alcohol, then added some new double sided tape.

I cleaned up the binding post connectors, and soldered the tweeters, getting rid or the crimp connectors

The dense foam was a pain. It catches on everything so readjusting the side foam is a must once its finally in. Be careful not to put tension on the wires to the tweeter. This only took a few hours, but will yield excellent results. I will let these settle over night with the radio on and do some critical listening tomorrow. stay tuned for the results!

Parts:

Nichicon XH series, PP films - 4pc. 10uf, 2pc. 7uf - $25
Panasonic ECW FA, PP films - 2pc. 3.9uf, 2pc. 1.5uf, 2pc. .22uf, 2pc. .1uf - $11.50
Vishay Dale ALVR wirewound resistors - 2pc. 12ohm 7w, 2pc. 1.5ohm 5w - $7.25

Ohmite 40 series wirewound resistors - 2pc. 680ohm 10w - $3.50
Ohmite WN series wirewound resistors - 2pc. 10ohm 5w - $3.25

Last edited:
Great score on a fantastic speaker and nice job.

I am having a set fixed by my speaker repair guy for a friend, same small cap leak problem on one along with eroded traces. Having the second one done as a preventative measure. Worth keeping those speakers playing!

I had the same problem! My local guy repaired them...I didn't have the time, with a baby, grad school, full time job...plus he was good and cheap. I should have had him go ahead and re-cap them both while he was at it, but I just had him fix the corroded trace at the time. Re-capping mine is definitely on my "to do" list...it will be my first re-cap job. These speakers are well worth repairing...mine sound outstanding even as-is (needing a re-cap)! I have Kef LS-50's here at my desk computer for now, but those are moving upstairs to the living room this weekend and the 103.2's going back in place as my desk speakers. Funny thing is, I don't feel like I'll be missing much, they're that good.

Well after a few hours of listening, the before and after is obvious. These sounded great beforehand, but their is an improved seperation of instruments and vocals. Nothing sounds cluttered and the sound stage even seems brouder . The low end sounds spectacular and there is plenty of it. And the highs are extremely crisp and clean. These seriously sound like their on an active filter. I'm really happy with them and can see why most people hold on to them. And for $50 in parts, the rebuild is a no brainer!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I reallly regret selling mine. The vocals sounded so natural, just a balanced musical speaker. Worth the effort. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Re-visiting this thread, as one of my speakers has developed a consistent distortion...just like the other one did before it was repaired...it also had the eaten trace. Looks like it's time for a re-cap.

Thanks so much for the parts list! I'm not the best at reading schematics...I was going to order from a schematic but I think I'm going to order the parts you did and give it a whirl.

Looking forward to getting these very good speakers back up to 100%. I had them out of rotation for awhile due to the distortion. I started using Bozak B-305's in my office instead, which are honestly way too big for the room. Recently I stacked the Kef's on top of the Bozaks and they work very well together, both being very natural sounding speakers. The Bozaks fill in the bottom while the Kef's flesh out the highs. But the distortion in the one Kef speaker due to the bad caps is really starting to get to me!

Thanks again Salbreth1 for sharing the parts list. I have been trying to order from Falcon Acoustics for over a year, but they're having some supplier issues.

Re-visiting this thread, as one of my speakers has developed a consistent distortion...just like the other one did before it was repaired...it also had the eaten trace. Looks like it's time for a re-cap.

Thanks so much for the parts list! I'm not the best at reading schematics...I was going to order from a schematic but I think I'm going to order the parts you did and give it a whirl.

Looking forward to getting these very good speakers back up to 100%. I had them out of rotation for awhile due to the distortion. I started using Bozak B-305's in my office instead, which are honestly way too big for the room. Recently I stacked the Kef's on top of the Bozaks and they work very well together, both being very natural sounding speakers. The Bozaks fill in the bottom while the Kef's flesh out the highs. But the distortion in the one Kef speaker due to the bad caps is really starting to get to me!

Thanks again Salbreth1 for sharing the parts list. I have been trying to order from Falcon Acoustics for over a year, but they're having some supplier issues.

Glad to help! I have been using my 103's with excellent results since the rebuild. I hope you have the same experience. I like these so much that I bought another pair. You cant beat the bass response for the size. The only issue is their sensitivity. They need some power to really open up.

sal

Glad to help! I have been using my 103's with excellent results since the rebuild. I hope you have the same experience. I like these so much that I bought another pair. You cant beat the bass response for the size. The only issue is their sensitivity. They need some power to really open up.

sal

Agreed! I'm probably underpowering them at least slightly. Have a 50 WPC (but high current) little zone amp running them in my office. A Sherbourn PA 2-50...got it for cheap what can I say. It has a remote, two speaker outputs...got some good features, just a little lower powered.

The Kef re-cap is imminent...I am selling my other office speakers on Monday and I can't stand the "buzz" so this needs done ASAP. Probably next weekend.

Can't wait to enjoy them again, and even (hopefully) hear some improvement, although IMO not needed, they already sound great (minus the buzz). I seriously think they do at LEAST 75-80% of what the Kef LS50's do. And the timbres are a little more natural than the LS50's to my ears. Not quite as resolving though.

Great post. Couple questions for you if you don’t mind:

1) once rebuilt, is there a way to check the crossover is working properly before hooking it up and putting back in the enclosure? I have a digital multimeter but not a fluke.

2) what’s the best way to clean the corrosion? Just isopropyl alcohol?

3) when removing the old caps, did you find it’s easier to just cut them and then reflow the solder over the new ones? Just trying to figure out the best and easiest way to go about doing this.

Thanks in advance

Thanks for posting this. Had a client drop a pair off. One woofer wasn't making sound. Woofer tested perfectly when removed. Checked the crossover and voila! Going to source the parts and get these working good as new again.

32781032217_72672d7e15_b.jpg

32781032447_dd1edf2b06_b.jpg

47671438762_f55052f70a_b.jpg

Speaker sounds much more transparent without the dual 300uf caps. They are in series with both drivers so removing them will not affect crossover slope or functioning of the protection circuit. Bypassing these caps should get you 90% to an LS50 without changing any of the other caps. Or just buy a pair of Energy C3 for couple hundred used. These little Canadian speakers are a bargain. They measure and sound exactly the same as the 103.2! The graphs come from HifiChoice and Soundstage.

Attachments

• E616CFE4-A888-42AA-B692-97B8CC9DE6AB.jpeg
    E616CFE4-A888-42AA-B692-97B8CC9DE6AB.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 99A92FDB-F70E-4EE7-B433-91E4A56B53CB.png
    99A92FDB-F70E-4EE7-B433-91E4A56B53CB.png
    355.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 8CCF6F75-E2BE-4C14-B810-5E1AAB6EF5AB.jpeg
    8CCF6F75-E2BE-4C14-B810-5E1AAB6EF5AB.jpeg
    14.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Speaker sounds much more transparent without the dual 300uf caps. They are in series with both drivers so removing them will not affect crossover slope or functioning of the protection circuit. Bypassing these caps should get you 90% to an LS50 without changing any of the other caps. Or just buy a pair of Energy C3 for couple hundred used. These little Canadian speakers are a bargain. They measure and sound exactly the same as the 103.2! The graphs come from HifiChoice and Soundstage.
I recently picked up a pair of KEF 103.2 at a thrift store. I looked inside of both speakers, and one of them has its crossover like it was bypassed because there is no relay, but it has both 300uf caps (Picture attached).
So are those two 300uf caps doing nothing in this case and better to be removed?
I order a new set of caps, but I didn't order the 300uf ones, so I am wondering if I should take them off in case they leaked due to age.
20220919_230400.jpg
****edit*****
Sorry nvm, I just pulled out both crossover and they are different models. The SP 2026A doesn't come with relay.
20220921_223605.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom