KEF 104/2 -- Carpet Spikes?

Mystic

We're all born mad
All,

Gotta pair, rosewood, still sound wonderfull as all foam, cones, and infamous ferro-fluided (T-33?) tweets are intact. Relocated from hardwood section of home to a room that's carpeted. Not liking how they sit (sense a tilt, could be psychological, could be genuine; haven't set a level atop, but then maybe the entire house is a-tilt? LOL) on the carpeting. Not plush, but squishy/padded sufficiently that I'm thinking about swapping out the (original equipment) threaded "flat disc" feet for spikes (cones, whatever y'all speaker improvement folk call 'em).

Do you suppose the switch to spiked feet will make a (positive) difference? If yes, what spikes/cones would folks in this forum recommend? Thus far I have looked only as far as AK sponsor Herbie's Audio 'cuz I've purchased turntable improvement devices from him in the past. Herb's got spikes that'll hold the somewhat h-e-a-v-y 104/2 speakers (I recall weighing one of them several years ago, sans grill, and it came in @ around 87 lbs).

Related question: when you "spike" footing speakers, especially speakers like 104/2 which are quite top-heavy items, does one pretty much need to engage feet @ all four corners for safety's sake? Seems that havig to go with four would bring to question leveling adjustment issues.

Any/all suggestions regarding (re)footing (or not), types of spikes/cones, and sources of such are welcomed.

PS: OR maybe I sell these suckers and migrate to Headphone Listening? I'll miss the "air" moving through the room and vibrations, esp. on live recordings played @ what some might consider "concert" volume, but perhaps I'd learn to accept that?

If you have the original feet, the rubber pads come off and theres spikes underneath, a cool feature kef had.

If you have the original feet, the rubber pads come off and theres spikes underneath, a cool feature kef had.

That would be wonderful. They've always been "capped" -- I've never removed the caps b/c they've never, until now, been assigned to a carpeted space. I'll have to check. Thanks!

Mystic,
You might try just removing the rubbers from the rear spikes. I always seem to recall tipping the 104/2s up a bit to bring out the treble.

Then again, my listening position was on a sleep-sofa and might have been 6-9 inches higher than the intended listening position. But removing the rear spike caps might be enough to tip them up enough to show a bit more focus.

Mystic,
You might try just removing the rubbers from the rear spikes. I always seem to recall tipping the 104/2s up a bit to bring out the treble.

Then again, my listening position was on a sleep-sofa and might have been 6-9 inches higher than the intended listening position. But removing the rear spike caps might be enough to tip them up enough to show a bit more focus.

I appreciate the advice, audiodon. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom