KEF 104/2 - The speaker gods have spoken

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by baco99, Apr 9, 2013.

1. slimecity

slimecity Super Member

Did my ferrofluid - yes it wasnt too painful. What was there wasnt dried up however it had become extremely gluggy and had collected on the VC's in dried globs in places. Im glad I did this.

I have also done the donuts but havent been able to audition yet as Im currently repainting my speakers with the Duratex PA speaker paint (the stain and veneer was pretty much shot).

Please register to disable this ad.

2. BMW C1

BMW C1 New Member

Hi baco99 thanks for your response, I prefered the Q7s with my turntable but found the 104/2 perfect for my home cinema setup.
    I moved house recently so everything was dismantled and put into storage.
    Now my two sons are insisting we set up a boys room.
    I have a set of B&W SCM8 THX surround speakers and a Linn AV5120 Centre speaker.
    If I refurb the 104/2s they will be perfect for the front L/R without the need for a subwoofer.
    I've mounted the B&Ws and I'm now in the process of finding decent speaker cable.

3. WE6C

WE6C Active Member

I am not a wood worker (can build shelves for garages etc) but I never knew you could paint the speakers. Can they be made to end up with a nice wood color using paint?

4. slimecity

slimecity Super Member

Probably but I have gone in the opposite direction - Duratex is a durable and grunty industrial black protective coat for PA speakers - I went that route instead of trying to replicate a wood look. It wont be for everyone but it suits me as these are such industrial looking speakers anyway.

The KEF 104/2 cabinets are stained and then coated with a clear poly coat. So the usual rules apply - sand back the poly coat to de-gloss and then you should be good to go. I also applied a sealer before top-coating to be safe.

It really was a last resort in my case as I buggered up the staining. However I think I will be happier with this finish in the end.

5. WE6C

WE6C Active Member

Slimecity, Thanks for your answer. Sorry it took so long for me to respond (no internet for a week).
    Bob

slimecity likes this.
  6. bcurtin

bcurtin New Member

Picked up some KEF 104s on Craigslist as an upgrade to some B&Ws and first foray into speaker restoration. They sounded great before taking them apart, and I had some questions about what to be concerned about.

The foam on all four woofers was in really bad shape (crumbling), so I pulled them out and cleaned off the old foam residue and adhesive with iso and an xacto blade. What’s the best way to check for coil rubbing? The outer diaphragm is butyl and there’s rubbing if I press on the cone, and some vibration when I play a <100 Hz test tone from my phone but it disappears when I lightly push on the cone. The gap also seems non-uniform when press down, with one side getting closer than the other. It’s not clear how I could slip something into the gap to clear debris or adjust to give the tighter side more space, if this is even necessary.

This seems concerning but perhaps I’m not testing the right way. I’d like to diagnose and do what I can before glueing the new foam dust covers on.

7. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

Manipulating the woofers by hand isn't a good test.
    The test tone result is disconcerting, perhaps there is debris causing this and a vacuum nozzle could remove the v/c rub.
    I'd resolve this issue before replacing the dust covers.

8. baco99

baco99 AK Subscriber Subscriber

You most likely have left over foam bits inside the voice coil. The foam gets sticky. If the gap is big enough to fit a business card in there, out a few drops of alcohol in the gap (don't soak it), let the alcohol dry a little, then scrape with the business card. You should see black gunk come out. If it comes out clean, you may have a blown coil.

9. WE6C

WE6C Active Member

I suggest you watch some youtube videos on refoaming etc. You will see how shims are used to align the cone as you glue in the center donut. As others have said, clean it all as best you can. You may be ok.

10. bcurtin

bcurtin New Member

Thanks for all the advice! I took some of the spacers that came with my re-foam kit and slid them around the voice coil gap, and so far the rubbing seems to have mostly gone away. There was some residue that came out and I'll follow up with some isopropanol before gluing the new dust caps on.

WE6C - Are you referring to the shims used to align the voice coil for the outer foam replacement? My drivers have butyl surrounds and I'm not sure how I'd use a spacer with the dust caps since this area will be sealed once I put them on.

11. WE6C

WE6C Active Member

No. I was describing exactly what you mentioned in your first paragraph above. I called them shims, you called them spacers, but it gets the cone properly aligned with the voice coil etc.

Looks like you got it!