KEF 104/2 - The speaker gods have spoken

Yeah, it was worrying me a bit since this was rather expensive for a thrift store pair of speakers, but I remembered the drivers on my 104ab's don't have much travel on them either. Guess we will see when I get home tonight.

a set of damaged MF/HF cabinets just sold locally here via eBay for $190 + shipping. you'll recoup your costs for sure if they aren't working.

Yeah, it was worrying me a bit since this was rather expensive for a thrift store pair of speakers, but I remembered the drivers on my 104ab's don't have much travel on them either. Guess we will see when I get home tonight.

You have to remember that there are two midranges doing the midrange duty, not just one driver, so they are going to definitely move less than usual.

Am I safe to play them at low volumes if the one donus is slightly detoriarated?

the donut is just keeping dust out of the voicecoil. Same job as a center cap would do, but it's shaped weird to accommodate the rod. as long as you clear all the loose donut material you're fine to play at low, medium or high volumes.

If for some reason you get something lodged in the VC, just stop playing and when you get around to replacing the donuts, use some tweezers or a small vac to get the debris out.

the donut is just keeping dust out of the voicecoil. Same job as a center cap would do, but it's shaped weird to accommodate the rod. as long as you clear all the loose donut material you're fine to play at low, medium or high volumes.

If for some reason you get something lodged in the VC, just stop playing and when you get around to replacing the donuts, use some tweezers or a small vac to get the debris out.

Yeah it won't damage anything, it's not like it's the surround of the woofer.

However, the old dried out donuts theoretically should compromise the sound quality of those drivers because they are attached to the rod, and being stiff would impede their movement a bit. So it's something that should be replaced.

just spotted a pair of KEF KAR33F, which are supposed to be the same as the T33 tweeters, on "that auction site." They are 4 ohm. They are currently sitting at $27. should i grab these as a backup?

Someone said something about pictures?
amudytuq.jpg
uqa2a9yv.jpg

My ESS translinears may be on the way out...

Someone said something about pictures?

My ESS translinears may be on the way out...

Those look sharp in black! I'm not a fan of black but I definitely wouldn't turn down a pair.

As for the ESS', I wouldn't be surprised if the Kef's became your main speaker. They're a hard speaker to dislike.

I think I'm going to do a speaker shoot out thread. Snell C II's-ESS translinear II's-KEF 104.2. All are very good towers in their own right. As far as the black-I really want to veneer them with some really nice veneer if I keep them.

As a strange coincidence and stroke of luck, I landed ANOTHER pair of 104/2s. these however, have already been scavenged. The cabinets are completely trashed. The seller sold off the front pods, grills and crossovers.

However, for $15 I scored another 4 woofers (3 of which need the donuts, but they all work), tons of extra hardware, an extra set of spiked/padded feet, and a priceless cutaway of the cabinet to give me a dry run of what to expect when taking apart my set.

Also, did you know that the rubber feet come off to reveal floor spikes? Nice touch.

8659091972_82ffa067d5_c.jpg

8659092490_0970e1bfd9_c.jpg

8659093034_28dea80b74_c.jpg

8657986909_508d789734_c.jpg

Well now that's not too shabby! You did very well. Those B200's are worth good money.

I have completely disassembled my Kef 104/2's now so if you need any pointers or advice feel free to PM me and ask.

Is it my imagination or does that foam donut cover appear to do no more than block dust i.e. does not provide any support to the woofers?

Nope. Just a dust cover. It rides over the connection for the cone-voice coil former.

From what I can tell, these B200s are worth about $30 each? Does that sound right?

Back
Top Bottom