KEF 104/2 - The speaker gods have spoken

Some additional KEF 104/2 info, courtesy of an ebay seller's ad:

KEF introduced the Model 104/2 – a loudspeaker that was to develop a strong reputation around the world for its technical innovation and acoustic performance. Such was its success that it remained in production for over ten years and, following on from the Model 105.2, was further evidence of the technical capability of KEF’s research and development facility which had been progressively developed through the 1970s and 80s.

Model 104/2 was a high output, high sensitivity speaker system possessing exceptional dynamic capability, able to reproduce a very wide dynamic range at high output levels. Technical features included chassis-less midrange units, conjugate load matching and the twin coupled cavity bass reproduction system.

Specification: Model 104/2
System Type: Three-way, floor standing
Enclosure type: Coupled cavity
Size: 900 x 280 x 415mm (35.5 x 11 x 16.5 inches)
Weight: 32kg (70.5 lb)
Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms resistive (20Hz-20kHz)
Rated maximum power: 200W program
Amplifier Requirements: 25-200 watts per channel into 4 ohms
Frequency response (standard): 55-20,000Hz +/-2dB at 2m on design axis
Frequency response (with matching KUBE): 35-20,000Hz +/-2dB at 2m on design axis (-6dB at 20Hz, Q=0.5)
Sensitivity: 92dB at 2m on reference axis for a pink noise input of 2.83V (anechoic conditions)
Maximum output: 112dB on program peaks under typical listening conditions
Finishes: Selected real wood veneers -Walnut
Grille: fabric
System: SP3037 Some of these had binding posts on the back panel, some had a cut and inset panel with the connectors)
Drive units: 2 x B200 bass unit (SP1188), 2 x B110 midrange unit (SP1190), T33 tweeter (SP1191)
Crossover: SP2050 (1984 only: SP2042, 2043, 2046). Looks like there were a number of crossover revisions
System: SP3128 (Bi-Wire version, 1990 onwards)
Drive units: 2 x B200 bass unit (SP1256), 2 x B110 midrange unit (SP1274), T33 tweeter

I had the luxury of hearing a pair of these speakers.

Suffice it to say that if a pair become available locally, I will be buying them! :yes:

Good luck with the rebuilds everyone. :thmbsp:

Good, just got better:

SCROE

8962560112_9b50d79dee_c.jpg

The ones on the left are the ones I picked up a few months ago. The ones on the right I picked up today. They are in MUCH better physical condition. The veneers have maybe 2 minor issues. I haven't listened to them yet, but my guess is the quality is near perfect. The "foa-nuts" need to be done. They lived an easy life. Hi end speakers from a hi end part of town.

No Kube, though....

Congrats!!

Now you know what you need to do, right?

Stack 'em!

Just kidding. But that's awesome. You don't really need the Kube, it's an optional accessory. It's only necessary with the 102, 103/3 and the 107/107.2. It is nice for the low frequencies though.

By the way, the bi-ampable models came without that door.. I just found pictures of another restoration on that model, and it's that way stock.

Congrats!!

Stack 'em!

Thanks
The thought did cross my mind.

Forgot to mention, I also picked up an NAD 906 power amp: 30x6, bridgeable to 90x3, and any combination in between.

AND

An NAD Monitor Series 2400 THX power amp: 100x2 or 200x1 bridged. A/B speaker connections and front face input level adjust. Power Envelope

AND

A set of Sony MDR-V6 Studio headphones

Everything is near perfect.

I won't tell you how much....

They had more stuff too, but I had to stop myself.

Last edited:
Well, damn skippy! Sounds like you did very well. It's nice to make a haul like that. :) I imagine that NAD THX amp is going to sound sweet..

It does!

I connected it up quickly with the Rolls controller as a preamp, the Denon DN-C635, and the T830s. Both amps sound great. Many hours of auditory procrastination ahead...

Lesson 1: Always worth asking "So what else do you have?"
Lesson 2: Bring extra cash.

Congrats on finding a choice pair. I found a pair last week and for the first time in listening to a pair of "new to me" speaks, I realized in a flash that the KEF 104/2s' were just "there" for my ears and a full servicing and a settling in long term is here. (4 pairs of nice speaks have exited this week and speaks I was curious about....no longer curious!)

Appreciate you being our ring leader canuckaudiog...best resource and our KEF "Mark the Fixer". Hats off to you.

Last edited:
Congrats on finding a choice pair. I found a pair last week and for the first time in listening to a pair of "new to me" speaks, I realized in a flash that the KEF 104/2s' were just "there" for my ears and a full servicing and a settling in long term is here! (4 pairs of nice speaks have exited this week and speaks I was curious about....no longer curious!)

Appreciate you being our ring leader canuckaudiog...best resource and our KEF "Mark the Fixer"! Hats off to you sir!

There's no point in having this good audio if you can't share it with other people :)

Came home late last night and my better half was down for the count. Didn't want to wake her,didn't want to wear HPs',tried low volume (One) on my Sansui G-9000....expected the sound field to "whimper". Was listening to jazz and it mostly all was still there! What a great speak.

Came home late last night and my better half was down for the count. Didn't want to wake her,didn't want to wear HPs',tried low volume (One) on my Sansui G-9000....expected the sound field to "whimper". Was listening to jazz and it mostly all was still there! What a great speak.

That's what the loudness function is for :) it's a great tool to use for low level listening.

It's funny, I've used Loudness on every system I have ever owned.

Except this DBX pre. Loudness sucks on the CX3. Sounds horrid at any volume. My only complaint.

best garage system ever?

9001901301_5711c9dc16_c.jpg

sounds damn good with an iPhone plugged directly into the NAD 2400 Monitor amp. The gain controls allow for this. 100wpc and very clean. No middle man!

foppy, we'll use this amp to A/B your pair against mine. I plan to do the donuts and tweeters on this pair because the physical condition is better than my previous pair.

Not sure what to do with the previous pair now!?

Looks like you just have it going for sonic enjoyment only (for now). What's the story with that drop dead little console?

Not sure what to do with the console. My wife actually likes it, and it sounds incredible. Tube Magnavox stereo with a 4 speed turntable and AM/FM.

I was going to pull the receiver and add switching for multiple inputs and use in my office. And sell the rest. Not sure I have the heart to do that since it's complete and working.

I also have a can of tubes I don't know what To do with...

Back
Top Bottom