KEF 104/2s: worth $425 a pair?

UMRKretread

Hey all,
I see a pair of these famous flyers available at that price. Seller claims mechanically perfect, but some minor cosmetic issues (water stains on tops, a few scratches, one grill peg missing. Any comments or advice? I have never heard a pair.

Hey all,
I see a pair of these famous flyers available at that price. Seller claims mechanically perfect, but some minor cosmetic issues (water stains on tops, a few scratches, one grill peg missing. Any comments or advice? I have never heard a pair.
They're great speakers foe sure but discussions of monetary values are restricted to the Dollars & Sense section per AudioKarma forum rules.

Really nice speakers but they will most likely need work.Can be a bit costly if you can't do it yourself.

Hey all,

I would not consider a set until I looked inside to see the condition of the internal woofer surrounds & donuts. Getting the woofers out to redo is a major undertaking -

1193275-kef-1042.jpg

What @soundmotor said, make sure you know how to replace the woofer donuts (kits available on eBay).

2nd most important for that model is that the ferrofluid in the voice coil gap of the tweeters tend to dry out over time, reducing the output of the tweeters and they do not sound optimal. Read up on parts-express, buy a ferrofluid kit, and inject into the tweeter voice coil gaps.

With those two things taken care of, you will have a pair of 104/2 sounding closer to how they were intended....

Thank you for that diagram, as I am a visual learner. I am capable of such an overhaul, but whatever they sound like, I would prefer something less complex....ferrofluid? Maybe a nice used Klipsch or Yamaha. #2 son has destroyed both bass drivers on my ancient PSBs, time for a new pair after 25+ years.

Expect to pay $200-$250 for the foam woofer donuts, tweeter ferrofluid, and a proper recap. Then get a mirror so you can see your own ear-to-ear grin when you play your music. They are magnificent.

Seller claims mechanically perfect

they are a great speaker, go and listen
does the "cube" come with them?
ask if anything has been done to them
a big part of the rebuild cost is the x-over kit,you can hold off on that if you want

they are a great speaker, go and listen
does the "cube" come with them?
ask if anything has been done to them
a big part of the rebuild cost is the x-over kit,you can hold off on that if you want

The “Kube” for the 104/2 is pretty rare...I have never seen one for sale. The Kube for the 107 is seen more often....

I’ve passed on these a few times . Never found a pair that’s been serviced . They sound nice . I hate foam surrounds so I passed

Back
Top Bottom