KEF 105/3

kanchi

I just bought a used KEF 105/3 speakers with the cube. I already own KEF KHT2005.1 home theatre speakers and Onkyo TX-SR805 Receiver.

I was hoping to use the KEF 105/3 as Front R and Front L in the home theatre system. Which receiver would you suggest for me.

When I am listening to mucsic, I would like to use the 105/3 by themselves. Is that configuration possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Your KEF 105.3 speakers demand a well built amp that is 4-ohm stable. You can't skimp on this otherwise you will be burning up the amp section with heat and it will fail. Get some recommendations from the people who own KEF's. I have the smaller 103.4's and drove them with a B&K REF 207.7 amp with no issues for 10+ years.

On a side note I had on CL a 70's vintage Pioneer Integrated amp and tuner (SA6500II/TX-5500II) and someone PM'd and asked if I was willing to trade and he offered me a Pioneer Elite SC-05 AV Receiver with the B&O ICE amps. I just installed this in my family room and have it running with my KEF 103.4's and this one does just fine. I plan on leaving it in my system indefinitely now. I wanted to try it out and put it through its paces and listen to it for 2-CH as well as surround, so far it's impressed the heck out of me. I had been using and will hang onto the front end components I had been using which are Emotive UMC-1 and B&K REF 200.7, the Emotiva came into being when I needed a processor with HDMI switching and the REF50 was sold off.

Hopefully your Onkyo TX-SR805 will work? A friend of mine had the 105.3's and they are a tremendous loudspeaker, they love clean power, and the stronger the amp the better they sound!

Hi Kanchi, I run Kef Reference 4.2’s as fronts and 3.2’s as rears with a 200C as my Centre. They are all 4 ohm and I chose an AV Amp with pre outs for each channel as I wanted to keep my system amplification through my Technics power amps which I have bought over the years. I am very pleased with my setup and the only 4 speakers the AV Amp is feeding directly are the atmos ones.
I also wanted to keep a two channel option so I run the front left/right pre out from the AV Amp into my Technics pre amp as an input. This means if I just want to listen to two channel I select the relevant input on my Technics Pre Amp but if I am watching a film I select the relevant input for the AV Amp. Hope this makes sense and helps. Cheers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom