KEF 105/3

kanchi

I just bought a used KEF 105/3 speakers with the cube. I already own KEF KHT2005.1 home theatre speakers and Onkyo TX-SR805 Receiver.

I was hoping to use the KEF 105/3 as Front R and Front L in the home theatre system. Which receiver would you suggest for me.

When I am listening to mucsic, I would like to use the 105/3 by themselves. Is that configuration possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot

You have some great speakers there that deserve a nice receiver or separates for sure.
Give us a budget.

Do you think I can get good receiver for my budget of 500-1200$. Any ones on sale for Thankgiving?

Last edited:
I am looking to find a receiver for them. I want to buy one receiver for home theatre and the KEFs. I want to use the KEFs as Front R and L in the home theatre setting and when not watching TV, use them to listen to music. I also got the KEF cube for the 105/3. I dont know if any receiver has a loop that I can set it up with. Thanks

I am looking to find a receiver for them. I want to buy one receiver for home theatre and the KEFs. I want to use the KEFs as Front R and L in the home theatre setting and when not watching TV, use them to listen to music. I also got the KEF cube for the 105/3. I dont know if any receiver has a loop that I can set it up with. Thanks
Good luck with that.

I was selling Kef when they came out with the KUBE and it made for headaches setting up A/V systems, multi room even A/B speakers. You need a AVR with main pre-out/power-in. The former is easy, the latter not so much.

My older Yamaha RX-V1 qualifies but checking the latest TOTL RX-A3070 it does not have the power-in. Same for Denon. A pre-pro would solve the problem, but that's more money. You can check out other websites to see if anyone makes one. Maybe more audio oriented companies like Arcam and the like?

I was selling Kef when they came out with the KUBE and it made for headaches setting up A/V systems, multi room even A/B speakers. You need a AVR with main pre-out/power-in. The former is easy, the latter not so much.

My older Yamaha RX-V1 qualifies but checking the latest TOTL RX-A3070 it does not have the power-in. Same for Denon. A pre-pro would solve the problem, but that's more money. You can check out other websites to see if anyone makes one. Maybe more audio oriented companies like Arcam and the like?
Pardon my ignorance. What is a pre out/power-in or a Pre-pro

i have 104/2 and 105/2 and kubes
i have never used the kubes
this is from the kef website

In the case of Model 105/3 and the Reference Series systems that followed, the use of the matching KUBE was not essential, the loudspeakers were optimised to function in standard passive configuration.

i have 104/2 and 105/2 and kubes
i have never used the kubes
this is from the kef website
Yes, you are correct. I have a KEF KUBE 200 and all it does it bring the bass frequency down to 20 hz. I will not use the KUBE if that makes the setup easy with a 7.1 configuration and 2.0 configuration with the same AV receiver.

The size of the room is 14'x40'. I am trying to setup a 7.2 channel home theatre set up with the KEF 105/3 as front R and L speakers. When I am just listening to music, I would like to use 2.0 configuration. I don't want to disconnect or reconnect wires every time I am doing this. If there is a way to integrate KEF KUBE 200 into the 2.0 setup that would be a bonus (not a must). Have 4K video capability in the receiver as well.

Pardon my ignorance. What is a pre out/power-in or a Pre-pro

Sorry:

Pre amp out jacks and power amp in jacks allowing you to hook the KUBE up there and it will only EQ the channels in question. As I mentioned, seems pretty rare these days.

Pre-pro: A pre amp and surround processor combination. You hook that up to a separate amp for each channel, once again allowing you to use the KUBE just for the main channels as it should be. That is an expensive route however.

And the above posts are correct, the KUBE was an option on the 105/3 as well as the other Reference series of that generation. The 104/2 was made as a stand alone before the KUBE was devised. The only speakers that require a KUBE to sound the way they were designed to were the 102, 103/3 and 107-107/2.

It may be simpler to put the KUBE aside unless you get lucky finding a receiver you can afford.

Back
Top Bottom