KEF 107 Kube repair?

k1creeker

Hi all,
I have a pair of KEF R107s, and luckily, 2 Kube equalizers. One with captive RCAs, and another with RCA jacks.
On the Kube with RCA jacks, the right channel jack(s) appear to have a loose connection. The channel drops out randomly and can be brought back by fiddling with the connection. Possibly something as simple as a bad solder joint at the jack, but these Kubes are a bit of a PITA to get into. I'd also be interested in replacing any caps that may be past their prime.

I checked in with my usual repair shop, and they're not too familiar with vintage KEF and suggested I look elsewhere for repair. I'm checking here to learn if any KEF owners can recommend a repair shop.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Hi all,
I have a pair of KEF R107s, and luckily, 2 Kube equalizers. One with captive RCAs, and another with RCA jacks.
On the Kube with RCA jacks, the right channel jack(s) appear to have a loose connection. The channel drops out randomly and can be brought back by fiddling with the connection. Possibly something as simple as a bad solder joint at the jack, but these Kubes are a bit of a PITA to get into. I'd also be interested in replacing any caps that may be past their prime.

I checked in with my usual repair shop, and they're not too familiar with vintage KEF and suggested I look elsewhere for repair. I'm checking here to learn if any KEF owners can recommend a repair shop.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
Hello k1creeker,

Reviving this old thread to hopefully seek some help.

I thought I would check with you to see if you every got your KEF 107 Kube repaired? I seem to have a similar problem with my KEF 107 KUBE. Now, I recently took my KUBE to my local tech and had him recap the KUBE and he also replaced the opamps with new units. Now when I took it in I wasn’t sure if the problem was in my preamp or in the KUBE.

I’ve since narrowed it down to the KUBE because I have it connected to the tape loop on the preamp and when the problem occurs if I disable the tape loop, the KEF 107 speakers work fine.

For me it seems if I engage and disengage the monitor - tape/source button on the back of the KUBE then it begins to work and continues to work without issue until I power down the system. The next time I power up the KUBE then if seems the one channel doesn’t work until I fiddle with the monitor button again. I’ve deoxited the monitor - source/tape button but the problem persists.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I love my KEF 107s but might need to have to replace the KUBE with a minidsp if the problem persists and can’t be resolved.

Thanks

Don

Try moving the input signal from your amplifier to "tape input" from "input", leave "tape monitor" engaged, and leave the output of your kube to the input of your amplifier as it is. This will use different contacts in the tape monitor switch and may help

Try moving the input signal from your amplifier to "tape input" from "input", leave "tape monitor" engaged, and leave the output of your kube to the input of your amplifier as it is. This will use different contacts in the tape monitor switch and may help
Hi maxhifi,

I will give that a try. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom