Kef C-55?

LPD

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Anybody know anything about these speakers? I'm interested in how they compare to American speakers I would know of? ie: JBL ect....

I have an opportunity to trade a Counterpoint S-1000 Preamp for a pair.

These were the first speaker I listened to that I understood what "imaging" was. Very detailed and quite descent bass. I truly prefered these to the EPI 100 that may start some flames but I like these speakers alot. Not quite as good in my opinion as the ADS L710 but that is my taste for sound. I am not framilliar with the pre but I think you could definately do worse in a trade.

Not that my friends are too bright but I was playing the c-55's and they were sitting on top of some much larger dahlquist dqm9 and my buddies were impressed with the way the dahlquists sounded even though they were not hooked up.

LPD, you have a great knack for coming up with some of he most interesting audio items. Where do you find this stuff ?

BTW, I really dig those JBL's you have. Love to hear them as well.

J

KEF were (and still are) one of the prime examples of the "British" hi-fi monitor speaker sound. As a matter of fact, KEF supplied the drivers for the BBC's famous "LS3/5a" monitor specification (speakers produced by Spendor, Rogers, and others). IMF used some KEF drivers in their justifiably-famous and groundbreaking line of TL speakers. For info on KEF drivers (and the classic IMF's too) take a look at: http://www.t-linespeakers.org/drivers/index.html (and elsewhere on Dave's excellent site)

The KEF sound is rich, full, and detailed (high-definition, was the buzzword in the 1970's). The big KEF 105's are still one of my favorite speakers, period.

I think the C series was a lower-end line (this is relative, you understand). I have a pair of the small (next to bottom of the line) C-20's. These small two-ways were designed with a shelved LF response to be augmented by placement against a wall. I thought that this brochure would include the C-55, but I guess it's from another model year. I'm attaching it anyway for reference. This document was from a good source of KEF information: http://www.allansonline.com/Anatomy/KEFDocuments/DocumentsIndex.html

also see: http://www.kef.com/allhistory.htm

Johnny,
I trade and barter with a couple old audio collectors in town. These guys have everything you could imagine. One fellow has a three storey house filled to the brim with audio gear with tunnels throughout the house so you can move from room to room. It is pure insanity, but the guy always has what I need or something interesting.

The Tannoys I've got my eye on are at a local antique shop who sells me hi fi gear as they prefer to deal with antiques so every once in awhile I scoop up a nice piece of gear. Thrifts are not so plentiful on hi fi stuff, once in awhile I snag a good deal ie JBL 4333's. The Kefs were not what I expected....really light cabinets, and one driver is faulty so I'm passing on the deal.

Well I'm sure more will be revealed ..:D

Back
Top Bottom