KEF Calinda thoughts?

Tierbo

I bought a pair of KEF Calinda's for $175 and have yet to pick them up. I will grabbing these in the next week or so and was curious to what others thought of these as well as the $175 purchase price? :scratch2:

I had a pair and thought they were very nice. Mine were somewhat beat up, I ended up selling them for $175 as well.

OK, so that seems like a fair price. These cabinets are not %100, but nothing that a little elbow grease couldn't fix for the most part (light water rings,etc..).

Thanks for the response. :)

Lol... No I don't think so.. unless he still has them and lives in Canada now and forgot to update his location. :)

Yet to get me a pair of Kef.

Those Cantata are Kef..?

So you did well. from my POV.

Enjoy.

Will be my first set of KEF's. Had tons of speakers but never KEF suprisingly enough. The driver compliment look to be the same as the LS3/5A's so they can't be half bad.

Last edited:
I am partial to KEF loudspeakers so my opinion may not be totally objective.

I have a pair of Calinda as well as R104ab, Carlton III as well as a pair of R105.

The Calinda, R104ab and Carlton are more or less the same design; an 8" woofer coupled with a B139 PR and a tweeter, either a T27 or T33.

All three sets are similar in performance: Moderately deep and well balanced bass with smooth midrange and more than adequate extension in the high frequency.

They can fill up a medium sized room with a 70W amplifier. They are neutral and perform well with classical music and jazz. Not that they are bad with traditional rock - just not "boomy" enough to the likes of some.

Compared with the Reference 105, the latter will make you feel the low frequencies on the sofa or your body in a relaxed way. The Calinda are a bit more discreet in the low end.

Are they a decent set of loudspeakers? Certainly and for $175, they are a very good buy.

One point though: I've found that after the 30+ years after they were made, the ELCAP capacitors seem to drift in values. On one of the crossovers one capacitor had drifted that badly that the tweeter hardly gave any sound. They are probably going to need a recap but then they will perform like charm.

Is that the pair in Kingston? Had they been a bit closer I might have jumped.

Yeah they are the ones in Kingston... for $175 I thought I would give them a try. Running with a pair of Sound Dynamics 300ti and they have been extremely soild speaker (like them a lot), but alas the bug has bit again and its time to try another speaker.

Gear comes in gear goes out.... :)

I love this hobby :music:

I've the Calinda, and still use them everyday, these and a few other.
Great speakers, non fatiguing and good to excellent in all genres of music. To me anyway, they excel with Jazz, Blues and classical rock.

Somebody mentioned (SaSi from Athens) that one of his tweeter is very week. It could be the drifting of the ELCAP capacitors as mentioned, but most likely it is the ferrofluid in the gap that has started to dried up. The T27 tweeters are ferrofluid cooled tweeters, and overtime, they will eventually dried up.

175.00$ is a very good price to pay :thmbsp:

The T27 tweeters are ferrofluid cooled tweeters, and overtime, they will eventually dried up.

Allow me a correction: The T27 is not a ferrofluid cooled tweeter. The first one KEF made with Ferrofluid (save for the exotically special T52 in KM1) was the T33 SP1210. That did dry out rather quickly, the newer version for the R107/2 didn't so. And the original T33 SP1074 isn't ferrofluid cooled either.

I am partial to KEF loudspeakers so my opinion may not be totally objective.

I have a pair of Calinda as well as R104ab, Carlton III as well as a pair of R105.

The Calinda, R104ab and Carlton are more or less the same design; an 8" woofer coupled with a B139 PR and a tweeter, either a T27 or T33.

All three sets are similar in performance: Moderately deep and well balanced bass with smooth midrange and more than adequate extension in the high frequency.

They can fill up a medium sized room with a 70W amplifier. They are neutral and perform well with classical music and jazz. Not that they are bad with traditional rock - just not "boomy" enough to the likes of some.

Compared with the Reference 105, the latter will make you feel the low frequencies on the sofa or your body in a relaxed way. The Calinda are a bit more discreet in the low end.

Are they a decent set of loudspeakers? Certainly and for $175, they are a very good buy.

One point though: I've found that after the 30+ years after they were made, the ELCAP capacitors seem to drift in values. On one of the crossovers one capacitor had drifted that badly that the tweeter hardly gave any sound. They are probably going to need a recap but then they will perform like charm.

Great review/recap of the Kef's with the same driver compliment. I love hearing from folks that have had or have the same speakers we are talking about.

I appreciate the tip on the recap, probably well worth the time and effort. I am excited to give them a listen. :yes:

Good correction :thmbsp:. I though the T27 was feerofluid as the SP1210.
The Morel CAT 298 Tweeter KEF T27 Replacement is Ferrofluid cooled, and this lead me to believe the same applied to the original T27.

So I picked these up about a week ago and I have been really enjoying them in limited time. I was running some Sound Dynamics 300ti's (which I really like) and these definitely have a different sound (not a bad thing). They have a deeper bass presence than I thought they would (sorta surprised me really), they seem a little more lad back in the mids compared to the SD's, but the highs are extremely pleasant and very detailed. Overall a big thumbs up...

I want to directly AB them over the next week or two (trying to get my wife to assist - always love hearing her impressions because she is not tainted by name or manufacturer etc..). The SD's are my back pocket speakers that never leave the house when all the other big wigs have. They are great for second system duties or fill in for the main system while a search for the next awesome pair continues. Could the KEF's displace the SD's?? (not so fast) We shall see... :)

Back
Top Bottom