kef ls50 or canton vento 836

Mrmk121

hi all, long time reader first time posting. I am currently looking at a set of speakers to pair up with my McIntosh MA5200. I was previously running a Mc set of monitors that I traded into my dealer. so now the amp needs a new set. After demoing (in shop, not home) a few Revels, B&W, Mc xl50, and a few others I listened to Kef. First R300 and then the LS50's. I loved the LS50. Im not hungry for power in the low end (as most seem to agree the LS50 lack) The mids and vocals were pronounced just right and the highs were not as abrasive as I expected them to be. I didn't feel any fatigue with a good hour listening. The 300's were nice with a bit more bass but over the Ls50 had the best soundstage to me. I usually listen to light or heavy rock, mix in some classical. I run a pro-ject for the Vinyl and lossless for digital. After reading about canton, I looked into the vento 836. They have a bit more power than the ls50. The few reviews I can find say they might be a better choice (on paper)
I never listened to the 836 and I have no dealer around me to try them. I had a chance to listen to canton 820's a few years old, someone's old dealer trade in. They seems to have the similar soundstage as the ls50 and also the strong low end from the 300's. I don't remember which amp was pushing them. Has anyone here had the chance to compare both the ls50 and the 836? If the 820 was strong to my ears than I definitely want to consider the 836. If so what's your opinion on them? Also if I go with the kefs, would they be over worked by the Mc overtime? In numbers they both max out at 8ohm, 100 p channel (150 for
the cantons) but it seems to me with any speaker and amp set you can only judge it in person, not specs, what everyone says about is best sound comes down to each his own. I'm down to picking either speaker set and would appreciate any thoughts in comparing them.

personally, when i get stumped on a purchase between 2 like choices like you have, if the sound evaluation is too close, i choose the equipment with the largest following, and most fans, if only because i enjoy being able to share information with current owners, the LS 50.certainly has a large fan base to share future questions and advice with.

Yes your right the sound was very close. But with the canton's I didnt actually have a chance to listen to the model that Im looking at, the 836. It was a set of 820's that I dont think they even make anymore. If the upgrade in model, and 7 years (820 is older) makes a difference i'm not sure I want to take a risk to have something solely just based on a larger following if stuck in between. Maybe its just me but if the sound is on point for my taste I usually go for it, even if its a start company, an unknown, etc.

I am looking at both of those speakers myself. I'm curious as to what you ended up going with and your thoughts. Did you ever get to hear the Cantons? Based on your description it would sound like the Cantons would suit me better. I like the LS50s but at times feel like they are too bright / harsh and can seem to lack something without boosting the base. Anyways, I'd love to hear an update.

Personally, I have felt the LS50's were too harsh when cranked and needed some extra warmth/bass.
That's why I was hoping he bought the Canton's to hear his thoughts on how they compared.

I have the KEF Q300’s and they do not sound harsh to to me, they have been superseded by the Q350, give them a listen.

Back
Top Bottom