KEF owners thread

Mccarty350...
Got it from Parts Express. Don't remember a part number, but it was the only ferrofluid in their printed catalog.

If such a thread starts clue me in or send me a link. I watched the warriors every week for about a year in 1992 when I was in college.

My kids have watched it double digit times. Absolutely love it.

A Warriors Appreciation Society thread is looming; if so, we should start it @ the Movies & TV Forums. My avatar is of course is the Fury Leader, played by a stuntman, not an actor, @ The Warriors film. His first name is Jerry; I don't recall his surname @ the moment.

:lurk: KEF R101's and whole gaggle of LS3/5a's using KEF drivers, and IMF's with KEF Drivers.

Have a pair of Cantata's to put back together, and a couple of head units from the 105 series bare. Plus a lot of spare drivers.

I have three pair of 104.2s(one pair for parts), one pair of 103.3s and one pair of Corellis. Sadly some of them will have to go.

:lurk: KEF R101's and whole gaggle of LS3/5a's using KEF drivers, and IMF's with KEF Drivers.

Have a pair of Cantata's to put back together, and a couple of head units from the 105 series bare. Plus a lot of spare drivers.

Hoarder!!! ;) Wish I had some R101's...

I keep looking on that Bay place, but every time they show up, they instantly spring north of $400....

I have three pairs of R107's and a couple pairs of R103.2's... the late 80's into the 90's truly was a magical time in KEF History!

IMG_6624w.jpg

Pair of 104/2 speaks circa '86 and a pair of 104aB circa '77. Too lazy to take & post pix but you all know the appearance of these things. The 104/2 pair have a particularly nice(ly) figured rosewood veneer finish. The 104aB's a rather unispired oak veneer but they got the killer T-27 tweets (originals!) that still work perfectly. I think every day that the T-33 tweets @ the 104/2 pair will "dry" and fail, but they're still kickin' it after (almost) daily use going on 29 years. Never got 'round to integrating The Cube @ the 104/2 array.
I have 104aB's as well. Love 'em to death.

Used to have these as my PC speakers (kinda). But kept them just a couple of months, not intended to be mains on any type of system.

Attachments

• IMG_0336.jpg
    IMG_0336.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 75

I keep looking on that Bay place, but every time they show up, they instantly spring north of $400....

I have three pairs of R107's and a couple pairs of R103.2's... the late 80's into the 90's truly was a magical time in KEF History!

IMG_6624w.jpg

Those are some seriously bad ass looking speakers :thmbsp:

Discovered 103.2's this past summer. Immediately bumped aside the Dynaudio BM6 that had been my daily drivers for eight years. Found a couple minty pairs of 103.2 in the rare and magical special-order rosewood not long afterward. It was a great day when they arrived (see pic below). One of the rosewood sets is now with a friend, but I still have two pairs.

Then I was fortunate enough to find a pair of spare crossovers, which Leesonic has just recapped for me. They literally showed up in my mailbox yesterday; can't wait to install them and see what kind if difference it makes.

Lee used the recap kit I sourced from Falcon, but I'm planning to have hime recap another pair of crossovers using his choice of caps.

Love these speakers. :yes:

Attachments

• IMG_4455.jpg
    IMG_4455.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 197
  • Dec 2014 system.jpg
    Dec 2014 system.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Discovered 103.2's this past summer. Immediately bumped aside the Dynaudio BM6 that had been my daily drivers for eight years. Found a couple minty pairs of 103.2 in the rare and magical special-order rosewood not long afterward. It was a great day when they arrived (see pic below). One of the rosewood sets is now with a friend, but I still have two pairs.

Then I was fortunate enough to find a pair of spare crossovers, which Leesonic has just recapped for me. They literally showed up in my mailbox yesterday; can't wait to install them and see what kind if difference it makes.

Lee used the recap kit I sourced from Falcon, but I'm planning to have hime recap another pair of crossovers using his choice of caps.

Love these speakers. :yes:

That is a beautiful lineup of 103.2's! Wonderful to see them! :thmbsp:

SS, we need to talk. PM incoming.

mech986 and SimplySound, thanks for the kind words.

I'm thrilled to have discovered the KEF reference series, and specifically the 103.2. After leesonic's crossover recap, the rosewood pair sound more detailed and transparent than ever, but not overly bright (thank goodness).

The room where my gear lives turned out pretty much as I'd hoped both acoustically and from a vibe standpoint; it was a labor of love for sure. This space was designed from the ground up for 2-channel audio, so a fair amount of thought went into the actual shape and construction. The side walls aren't actually parallel, they toe in as they go toward the wall behind the speakers, though it's hard to tell when you're in the room.

And yes, room treatments are probably the most overlooked piece of the equation for most people chasing good sound at home. I haven't gone as deeply into this as tomlinmgmt, but I agree with him 100% on the importance. Done right, they can actually add to a room's ambiance rather than detract. The corner panels are bass traps, Owens-Corning rigid fiberglass covered with old sheets and then an inexpensive Indian bedspread. Obviously it's a matter of taste, but I prefer the look of the room with these in place.

To anyone thinking about working on the sound of their listening rooms, add my voice to the chorus of those who say "Yes, absolutely!" I've never heard of anyone regretting it.

The other thing I think is crucial for vibe is dimmers on all lights. Everything was turned up pretty bright for the pics, but usually it looks way more chill. All ceiling lights in my room and even the Edison bulb lamp are controlled by variacs that were hard-wired into the room when it was built. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

Last edited:
KEF fan big time

I thought the 105/3's sounded better than anything I ever heard in that dead listening room and I was swapping out speakers every few months, at home the 105/3's disappointed in their lack of bass output. A kav 300 il on top with a B&K 4420 pushing the bottom thru the kube 200 finally gave me the balance and quality I was looking for. I got the 107/2's new years day and the bass is amazing!!! The 105/3 needs quality bi-amplification to really sing and my kav amp is only working as a pre right now so a side by side would be unfair. We are remodeling 2 bathrooms so my apologize for the mess.

Attachments

• IMG_20150131_120056262[2].jpg
    IMG_20150131_120056262[2].jpg
    48 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20150131_120028954[1].jpg
    IMG_20150131_120028954[1].jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20150131_120020027[1].jpg
    IMG_20150131_120020027[1].jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 102
I thought the 105/3's sounded better than anything I ever heard... I got the 107/2's new years day and the bass is amazing!!!

I have been intrigued with the R105/3 for some time Steve, let us know when you get a chance to do a comparison. :thmbsp:

I have 104aB's as well. Love 'em to death.

They cover a pretty good range considering their (relatively) compact stature. I had misgivings upon swapping them out for the 104/2 pair, but I've not let go of them. Pair of speakers are like a spouse when they've been with you since circa '75.

..and just like a boomerang, I am back to being a Kef owner.

I picked up a pair of 103/3s - a pair I used to own! These ones have been fully recapped using an Alcap matched kit, and have had the ferro fluid reflowed in the tweeters. Essentially totally restored, except the donuts on the bass drivers need to be replaced.

It's nice to be back in the Kef Reference sound. They really do sound lovely. They are intended to be the successor to the 103.2 which we all know is a fantastic little speaker. The 103/3 doesn't disappoint!

Congrats. I'm currently using a pair of 103.2 with recapped (via Falcon) crossovers. the recap really opened them up. Soon I will sample another flavor when leesonic recaps the other pair with components of his own choosing.

:thmbsp:

Congrats. I'm currently using a pair of 103.2 with recapped (via Falcon) crossovers. the recap really opened them up. Soon I will sample another flavor when leesonic recaps the other pair with components of his own choosing.

:thmbsp:

It did the same with these 103/3s when I recapped them last year. I imagine it made a bigger improvement since the 103.2 is an older model. I'll be interested to hear about your second set vs. the Falcon recapped set to see if the extra expense is worth it.

Back
Top Bottom