KEF owners thread

I know these aren't Kef but they use the Kef B200 woofers as did alot of other companies in the day did.
They look great, built very well & sound superb. The lower feq responce is the best I have heard for a single 8" woofer.

eb1cc2058160963e4b249ebdcf1f9a1b.jpg

Last edited:
Concertos

My first speakers were Concertos that I bought from Malcolm Jones (for those who don't know, the designer) who lived near me. Home limitations/growing family and I had to change to Audiomaster LS3/5A's. I've had these for the last 35 years and they do use KEF drivers. I did try a KEF sub for a while but it didn't work for me. What I have now is a pair of Falcon AB1's and I found hat Malcolm Jones popped up again as the "manufacturer" of the drive units. I couldn't be happier - they suit my circumstances very well. But I'm still looking out for a good pair of Concertos on eBay. Will I be disappointed?

KEF Fan here as well. Started with a DIY version of R101 back in '81 and used them until a few years ago until I started collecting: R104ab, Calinda, Corelli, Carlton III, R105 and R107 (rebuilt the cabinets from internet pictures and dimensions). Just found a KUBE107 and ordered a transformer to power it up and give it a go.

I've been a KEF guy since the 1970's. I began this hobby by purchasing a pair of Avid 102a bookshelf speakers and have had a number of different speakers over the years from Boston Acoustics, Sound Dynamics, JBL and KEF. I owned the Corelli's first, then had the C40's. After that it was the Reference 101. Finally I acquired a pair of 105/2 and later a pair of 104/2 and I've been very pleased with them over the years. I will sometimes get the idea to buy the 107/2 but it's just an expense that I don't need at this point. I'm happy with what I have, though I could stand a larger, dedicated listening room. One day perhaps.

Attachments

• IMG_0276.jpg
    IMG_0276.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 86
Those are a transmission line, likely made from plans, based on an AR Bailey transmission line - which is the most classic of all t-lines.

I don't know the specifics but, they were what got people into transmission lines in the first place.

Make sure you pop out the dome on the other T27 as it will affect its output.

Cool find.

Those are a transmission line, likely made from plans, based on an AR Bailey transmission line - which is the most classic of all t-lines.

I don't know the specifics but, they were what got people into transmission lines in the first place.

Make sure you pop out the dome on the other T27 as it will affect its output.

Cool find.

Popped the tweeter. All ok. Yes they are Bailey design transmission lines using Kef speakers. Can't wait to restore them and have a listen

Last edited:
Picked the transmission lines up today for a steal. You meet some nice people selling old gear as well. These are beautiful looking speakers. Can't wait to test them.

Some updated pics;

153ace2b73192b46743e57eecfd14080.jpg

4f8d561fc734df5ea5fcb33a72b5b4d9.jpg

Last edited:
Discovered 103.2's this past summer. Immediately bumped aside the Dynaudio BM6 that had been my daily drivers for eight years. Found a couple minty pairs of 103.2 in the rare and magical special-order rosewood not long afterward. It was a great day when they arrived (see pic below). One of the rosewood sets is now with a friend, but I still have two pairs.

Then I was fortunate enough to find a pair of spare crossovers, which Leesonic has just recapped for me. They literally showed up in my mailbox yesterday; can't wait to install them and see what kind if difference it makes.

Lee used the recap kit I sourced from Falcon, but I'm planning to have hime recap another pair of crossovers using his choice of caps.

Love these speakers. :yes:

Very nice listening room.From what I see on this thread is KEF made some very handsome looking speakers.

An extremely clean pair of KEF 102s joined my collection of fine British speakers.
Complete with the correct KUBE. They appear to have lived an easy life with perfect edges and corners. Grills as new.
The tweeters are date coded 1989,so I refreshed the ferrofluid.
They sound very good and have the ability to get loud.
A shootout with my Harbeth P-3ESRs is ahead.
Less money than the smaller KEF 101s. Expensive when new, an excellent value previously owned!
Happy listening.
Jimmy

Lovely speaker, I sold many pairs to folks who wanted big, accurate sound but not big speakers. Enjoy!

Upgraded my Corellis with a pair of 104/2s yesterday - CL deal, $350. Donuts need to be replaced and I'll do the fluid, too. The cabs were pretty scratched up, but some wax and feed hides them pretty well, I think.

Any difference in the donuts from the various sellers on eBay or other sellers around the net?

IMG_3159 by leray1, on Flickr

IMG_3157 by leray1, on Flickr

Hey Leray1
Congratulations on your new to you KEFs. Outstanding speakers,priced right.
Great threads on disassembly and repair in the archives.
Don't know about the donut sellers but I've bought ferrofluid from both sellers on the bay. Same product,same fast free shipping. I did both repairs on my 103/3s. Not too difficult. The ferrofluid made an immediate and dramatic improvement. Did my102s last week,an hours work.
Happy listening!
Jimmy

BTW-- maybe swap positions with your TT and electronics. Looks real close to the right speaker.

I finished my 104/2s this week. It took me a lot longer than what others said it would, but it was worth the two to three hours for each of three evenings. Glorious, just glorious sound! I spent this evening just basking in their glory.

Not sure if I've mentioned it yet here but I added some LS50's to my Kef stable...to go with 103.2's and 107's. I've got someone kicking the tires on my 107's...talk me out of selling them! I'm sure there are worthy contenders but I'm not sure what else is out there for $2k or less (new or used) that I'd rather have. If anyone has suggestions on what could replace them, send me a PM. I have Emotiva gear running them, 125 W @ 8 ohms. IMF? Aerial Acoustics? AR9? Altec 19? Acoustat? Apogee? Lots of variables involved, I know. Likely I should just keep the Kef's...they are a good match for my room and my gear...easy to place and not much room interaction due to the speaker design.

Back
Top Bottom