KEF problem?

bad tweeters

Tweeters may be making noise but not working properly?

If the binding posts are different maybe one has a different x-over, as many x-0vers are attached directly tot he binding post.

Wiring

In addition to the obvious binding post replacement? If I were that owner I would suspect that "modified" speaker before rolling them into the GON show. Open up that puppy and investigate the guts.

Muffled? I've never heard a Kef speaker that sounded muffled if it actually worked in the first place.

What do you think?

I suspected the x-overs also. It really looks like someone didn't respect these nice speakers by the looks of things.

Those drivers are coax, so tweeter repair might be damn near impossible without rebuilding the whole driver or worse yet replacing the entire driver.

If the price were more like $100 I'd snatch them up just for the heck of it.

Same here. I think I read over in DIY that a simple switching of the the tweeters' leads might improve things. Some drivers, particularly tweeters, when hooked up incorrectly(i.e. "+" on "-" instead of "+" on "+"), can sound muffled or weak. I'd investigate that before anything else. What's a little odd, though, is that both units are acting this way, which might suggest(aside from a bungled mod or fix) they were driven rather hard, perhaps excessively so. Add the apparant rough treatment the cabs have suffered, and it indeed looks like they weren't treated too nicely. That's a shame, since these KEFs are wonderful speakers, and I've always had a yen for the Uni-Q. ;)

Cheers.
:beerchug:
-AlphaLima

I too have always dreamed of having this caliber KEF but it seems someone snatched them up since I started this thread. Maybe the seller just forget to say they were sold and might have gotten a call or two to remind him. :dunno:

Like I said, it would have been a good project for a c note. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom