KEF Q100 $229

bubba42

KEF Q100 speakers are currently $229 at Amazon. Presumably this is a clearance price. I ordered a pair as I am hoping they perform well above that price.

There aren't a ton of reviews of them. I like the idea and the series is well-rated. I also like that it is front-ported, allowing for more placement options.

Anyone else going to get a pair or have a set?

I have a pair of Q10, which were the first generation of this design. The Q100 I believe are the 7th or 8th iteration. Mine are noticeably mid forward, and I'm currently using them as rear surrounds. But I think I liked them best nearfield on a desk.

I've been considering the KEF Q100 or Q300 with that driver they have. From what I've read, the 100s get better reviews than the larger 300s.

I'd like to read your impressions after you've had them awhile.

I had a pair of the 100`s for a few months and they are really good but you will need a sub with them . I was using a 12in Sunfire with them and they were very satisfiying. I go through speakers pretty fast . I sold those but kept my KEF RDM1`s because of clarity and seperation of instruments. The rdm`s are hard to beat.

i have a pair of Q100's currently using them on shelves as the mains in my HT set up and love them. when i first got them i was using them on stands with a sub in a 2.1 set up with vintage gear and sounded pretty damn good really sweet mids. they dont have the bass of my Ls50's but the mids and highs arent that far behind IMO. i would say they are worth the $229. i paid $299 for a refurbished pair a few years ago and was happy with the price

I just connected the Q100 speakers. So far so good. Wow, they have a lot of bass for such a small speaker. How do they do that?? I may not even need a sub, I thought that was mandatory, now I am wondering.

Is there a way to just delete things? the OP has his speakers and likes them, so no need for kvetching about them from me.

These are great speakers. For those who've been trading in old vintage speakers and don't know anything but vintage, the Kefs would be a great budget way to see how good current technology is.

Anyone heard the latest Q300 vs Q350? Opinions?

Looks like the main change is the relocation of the port and that's about it. I'm wondering if the rear port will limit my location options as I will have them within close proximity of a wall, say ~1.5ft.

If that's the only difference I might as well save my pennies and go with the Q300

I've owned the Kef Q100's :trebon: for 14 months in my 20 x 14 living room rig. I'm using them with a 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer. Driven by Yamaha AS 500 Int Amp (Bi-Wired).

I like about 70 db average to not much over 80 db peak in my listening chair...vocals on these speakers are really mesmerizing IMHO.

These are the best bookshelf pair I've played in the last 33 months ... besting the Pioneer BS 22's & the Wharfedale - Diamond 10.1 (which was a good sounding speaker).

IMHO ... great value at $300

Last edited:
I have the KEF Q300 speakers in my living room, they are perfect for my tastes. Nothing bad to say about them at all!

Anyone heard the latest Q300 vs Q350? Opinions?

Looks like the main change is the relocation of the port and that's about it. I'm wondering if the rear port will limit my location options as I will have them within close proximity of a wall, say ~1.5ft.

If that's the only difference I might as well save my pennies and go with the Q300

I usually consider a rear-port on a bookshelf speaker to be a disadvantage. It might not be a problem for your install, but it would limit where you could put them. (Likely not on a bookshelf!)

I took advantage of the $229 sale on the Q100's. They are on 24" steel stands from a company called Vega AV that I think primarily sells on Amazon and Ebay. I filled the stands with play sand that I had dried in the oven for a while. The Q100s are being helped out on the low end with a Pioneer Andrew Jones SW-8 powered subwoofer.

I'm amazed at how good such a petite speaker can sound. Compared to the Pioneer Andrew Jones tower speakers they replaced, acoustic instruments and percussion sounds more real, vocals sound richer. Sibilance is much improved. I thought the Pioneer speakers were pretty decent for the small money (they certainly sounded more natural than the boxy sounding BOTL Polk and Klipsh speakers that I compared them to at the big box consumer electronics store) but the KEF Q100s are on another level. I think I paid the same amount for both (without factoring in the cost of the speaker stands). One quirk of the KEF Q100s though is that they don't sound very good until they are pushed a little bit. For me, these are Friday night sound level speakers all week long, which is not a problem. I suspect that they'd be less than ideal for near-field monitoring at a computer desk.

KEF direct is still selling Q100's, even at the current $299 price they are a good deal.

Wow, you got a pair of Q100's for $40? That is an amazing buy. I hope they are in working condition and give you lots of enjoyable listening.

Back
Top Bottom