KEF Q300'S OR KLIPSCH RP-150M??

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Bluzefan, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Bluzefan

Bluzefan New Member

Good Morning All...
    Looking for opinions on whether to buy a set of KEF Q300 or Klipsch RP-150M...I have a Marantz 2230 receiver, a Technics SL-1700 turntable with an Ortofon Red cartridge....my main listening preference is late 60's early 70's classic rock.....Thoughts?
    Thanks everyone...

2. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

Having heard neither, if ordering blind (deaf?) I'd go for the KEFs, having been disappointed in the mids from a couple current Klipsch models under that one, with similar mid/woofer drivers. Plus, I have always wanted a pair of KEFs from the Q line.

Best way to know is order both, with return privileges.

EDIT: What I actually ended up with were the Elac Debut B6 for that room. I'm uncertain whether either of the models you mention will outperform them, for less money. They make sense to be added to your shortlist.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    cratz2 likes this.
  3. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Price point and what type of music listened to?

4. Chrisxo55441

Chrisxo55441 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have the Q100 and they sound great paired with my 2230 i do use a sub. The Q300 will give more bass and should be a great match as well. I do have a pair of klipsch RB 61 ll that sound pretty sweet as well but i have not heard the 150. For me i would choose the Q300

cratz2 and Condorsat like this.
  5. Bluzefan

Bluzefan New Member

original post indicates klipsch rp-150m and kef q300....$400 price point, classic rock,

darkblue94 likes this.
  6. Condorsat

Condorsat Audio Enthusiast

Kef Q100 owner as well .... w/sub. The vocal clarity on Q100 is to die for IMHO ... one of my audio Holy Shit momemts.

Would go for Kef Q300.

cratz2 likes this.
  7. cratz2

cratz2 Addicted Member

I'm not much of a Klipsch fan, esp of their sub-$1,500 speakers and the KEFs would be at the top of my list if I found myself in the market for a speaker in that price/size range. I will admit that I've not knowingly heard any of the RP series or Klipsch.

I'd 100% go for the KEFs.

8. Mamrak1

Mamrak1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have the RP160s, the slightly larger standmount speaker and I like them a lot. The150s will probably be cheaper and they have gotten good reviews. Again, listening is your best best. Order with a liberal return policy if you must go that route.

9. BirdLives

BirdLives Super Member

I own a pair of Q300s and Q700s. Bought the Q300s first based on internet reviews and being consistently rated (at least a couple of years ago) as the best bookshelves under $1K.

I have powered both pairs with a Marantz 2238 and Pioneer SX-850 and the results have been stellar. I would give them my highest recommendation... they're fantastic for all musical genres.

LET'S GO BLUES!!!