KEF Reference 101.2

Well, they haven't arrived and won't for at least another week so that's why I'm asking...
KEF Reference speakers are excellent as long as they have been maintained correctly. This means changing out the ferrofluid in the tweeters, replacing any rotted foam surrounds and replacing aged crossover capacitors. Whether you got your money's worth is completely up to you but 158 pounds ain't too bad for starters.

Hmm, I'm honestly wondering how good the old kef uni-q implementation is...I've heard a few mixed opinions from people regarding how good they are. I have high hopes though!

The first generation ones were in the price point C series which were not great speakers but it was hard to say if it was the cheaper construction or the Uni-Q. When they brought out Reference series versions I heard much better comments but at that point I had just left the business and was no longer selling Kef so I did not get a chance to hear them. From what I gather they were quite good, let us know what you think.

Congrats, at that price they are a steal! They are great speakers/monitors too! We had them in our home for a long time, and as I was going through high school, I put these speakers though everything from AC/DC to Led Zeppelin, while my Dad listened to Jazz, and we were never disappointed. We ran them with a separate sub though for obvious reasons (they are small). I believe though, at this age the Ferrofluid has to be replaced. I have done this on both my C60's and Ref 102's and it makes a HUGE difference. I also plan to re-cap them, and I recently read an article on this that says if one is going to do a re-cap, then you must stick with the original cap manufacturers only (Bennic & Alcap on mine) as they were specifically chosen by KEF engineers for the application and their electrical characteristics for the given speaker(s). I will try to find the link and post it here. Enjoy the speakers, that's a great find!

Alright! Now...time to work out how to get the tweeter out and replace the fluid. Generally, what kind do you recommend? I know the viscosity has to match but other than that I have no idea...

Alright! Now...time to work out how to get the tweeter out and replace the fluid. Generally, what kind do you recommend? I know the viscosity has to match but other than that I have no idea...
Did you replace the fluid in the end? I got myself a pair of these bad boys and I'm planning on doing the same maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom