Kenny kr9600 deoxit fix

bertram31

I purchased a nice original owner Kenny KR9600 about a month ago. Plays beautifully and is in outstanding cosmetic condition ( I have no way of checking the components other than it sure does play nice). Based on the great adivce here, I opened her up (according to owner, he never opened and cleaned) and sprayed all the pots, knobs and almost everything I could with DEOXIT. Put it back together and noticed that the the left speaker would get "static" and appear to be losing power. Actually had these symptoms prior to cleaning. I noticed that there was not an orifice for spraying cleaner into the right/left speaker pot. So, I got brave and took the bottom cover off and drilled two small holes, two lobes for the L/R pot. I used a 1/16 drill bit, gently opended two holes (very soft metal). Sprayed cleaner into them and worked the dials back and forth about 20 times. I am happy to announce, it fixed the problem. My 9600 is humming away and the left channel does not break up anymore, yaahhhooo!!!!. Felt good fixing a basic problem and getting it fixed without taking it to a shop. The info I gathered from this great site, led me to try and fix myself. Thought I'd share this for those have problems with a sealed "pot" hope it helps........

Howie, actually I think you were the one who suggested I drill the holes. I read so many threads here that after awhile all the great contributors blend together. I have a question. I you done the DC offset test I see mentioned in another thread. The more I read, the more I learn and do. Thanx. r/ Roland

Howie, actually I think you were the one who suggested I drill the holes. I read so many threads here that after awhile all the great contributors blend together. I have a question. I you done the DC offset test I see mentioned in another thread. The more I read, the more I learn and do. Thanx. r/ Roland
Sorry, I can't take credit for the hole-drilling technique... I was the one who sent you a manual. :)
No, I haven't played with the DC offset. My 9600 sounds just great (after sitting for nearly 20 years) and I'm afraid I'd probably break something. LOL
I hope you're enjoying your KR-9600, BTW... They are impressive sounding receivers!

Howie, just out of curiosity I would be interested to see after 20+ years where your DC offset is. A very, very, easy test. Taking the 40+ screws off the 9600 was more work....LOL.....more than happy to walk thru the process, but it is awfully simple. Just take a mutlimeter and use the "B" bank of speaker terminals and dial the speaker selector to the B side. Have the defeat turned on, I used the fm selector, I acutally used am and found no change. Keep volume control all the way to minimum, set multimeter to DC and dial into 200mv or 300mv depending on your multimeter and take the reading. I left mine reading for about 15 minutes per side and did not notice much a change plus or minus. Unfortunately, my channel reported out a 125mv and the right channel at 77 mv. According to most on this site including EW, I need to correct. What is amazing is how wonderful the sound is now. Kind of scary that it can only get better. Please let me know your results if you decide to test, trust me, a very simple procedure. I just downloaded the service manual. Send me a PM and I can discuss some of the specifics with the service manual.

Back
Top Bottom