Kenwood 700 Series

Thanks for the photos. Might be hard to believe the story otherwise!
The 700s have been objects of lust here for quite some time.
In what part of the country did this major score happen?
I really need to visit a pawn shop some time...

make sure tuner/aux1 switch is in mid position to get aux 2 or 3. There may be a bad contact, there, so flip the switch ten times up/down or so to rework the contacts.

If in need of service, go to a reputable tech only if afraid doing anything at it yourself. At least the preamp (I only have the preamp) is easy to work on for techs, but it may be time consuming.

make sure tuner/aux1 switch is in mid position to get aux 2 or 3. There may be a bad contact, there, so flip the switch ten times up/down or so to rework the contacts.

If in need of service, go to a reputable tech only if afraid doing anything at it yourself. At least the preamp (I only have the preamp) is easy to work on for techs, but it may be time consuming.

I will do that today and see how it does. Last night my son came out of his room and told me to turn it down. LOL

Thanks for the photos. Might be hard to believe the story otherwise!
The 700s have been objects of lust here for quite some time.
In what part of the country did this major score happen?
I really need to visit a pawn shop some time...

Corpus Christi, TX - I go to pawnshops 3+ times a week, lots of things out there to be had. This is by far my best find, otherwise these are slightly out of my budget. :)

I'm pretty sure this trumps my one owner L-09Ms for a grand story all to hell. Congratulations!

I'm pretty sure this trumps my one owner L-09Ms for a grand story all to hell. Congratulations!
Thanks. It's mind boggling to think how a pawnshop would sell these for $120/$110 each and how they would throw out the original boxes with manuals and factory test sheets (serial numbers on the box and factory test sheets match each of the units). I consider myself VERY lucky finding these when I did.

Thanks. It's mind boggling to think how a pawnshop would sell these for $120/$110 each and how they would throw out the original boxes with manuals and factory test sheets (serial numbers on the box and factory test sheets match each of the units). I consider myself VERY lucky finding these when I did.
They obviously didn't know what the hell they had, and someone was hard up for money when they pawned them.

They obviously didn't know what the hell they had, and someone was hard up for money when they pawned them.
On one of the boxes, it still had the pawn ticket taped to it. Someone pawned both units for $50 each and a harman kardon rabco st-7 turntable. I didn't get the turn table but i kinda wish I did cause it looked really nice and the only wanted $120 for it, it looked vintage too.

Yep, I'm betting they're hot as hell. First, who pawns these for $50 if not, second, what pawn shop wouldn't know these were worth A HELL of a lot more than a bit over a C-note. Might want to look into it, wouldn't be fun getting arrested for receiving stolen goods.

Yep, I'm betting they're hot as hell. Might want to look into it, wouldn't be fun getting arrested for receiving stolen goods.
You'd better delete this thread if it's the latter. ;) In any case, you're currently the envy of AK's Kenwood contingent.
I am always in that pawnshop talking to them and the past few times they haven't said anything but I will continue talking to them and see if anything comes up. I have my receipt for units.

I am always in that pawnshop talking to them and the past few times they haven't said anything but I will continue talking to them and see if anything comes up. I have my receipt for units.
A Good Will etc I could understand, but pawn shops make their living knowing this shit, smells fishy. Ask yourself this, "when was the last time you ever heard of someone getting something over on a pawn shop?", exactly, never. If you ever think you have, check your wallet.

Throwing away the original boxes and literature as many have stated are most likely worth more than you paid for the whole deal looks even more suspicious. What pawn shop owner doesn't know the provenance of something increases the value. Either he's the stupidest pawn guy and won't be in business for another 5 minutes or..........

I would check with the police, they may be looking for this stuff. First it's the right thing to do, what if it was your stuff that was stolen. Second, you'll be much happier if it's on the up and up and you know it with a clear conscience.

Last edited:
I would check with the police, they may be looking for this stuff. First it's the right thing to do, what if it was your stuff that was stolen. Second, you'll be much happier if it's on the up and up and you know it with a clear conscience.

I agree. Not an easy decision to make but it's definitely the right one based on the fact that something definitely doesn't seem right.
Hopefully, they weren't stolen and the pawnshop just didn't know the value.

Someone pawned them for $50 each, which is about right for something that old, untested etc. The guy obviously never came back and they simply wanted to quickly move the gear with their margin on top.

Having worked in a pawn shop repairing gear many moons ago, they put a fixed margin on their buys regardless of how little they pay for things.

Don't ruin the guy's scroe. Don't listen to the jealous. What makes anyone think they are stolen? They were in their boxes, looking pretty much like they have been stored there for decades. Someone may have inherited them from Grandpa and wanted to borrow against them.

Awesome Score! :)

No harm in checking the 'provenance' but OP certainly doesn't have to worry about being arrested for receiving stolen goods. Even if they are stolen, which is hardly proven at this point. He bought them fair and square at a pawn shop where he has a long-standing history as a customer, and he has the receipts to prove it. That said, he should scan the receipts into the cloud for safekeeping
index.php

Back
Top Bottom