Kenwood 700C Volume Pot issues

Raccoon1400

This 700C keeps cutting out, one channel in particular. It seems to be not the volume control its self, but the connection between the solder tabs and the traces on the pot? If I wiggle the wires/tabs just right the sound cuts back in but I can't seem to make it reliable. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_9701[1].JPG
    IMG_9701[1].JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 78
Might need a replacement pot, but it has to be a good one. Original is 20K stepped attenuator with a nice solid feel. With loudness taper. Smooth shaft. Any ideas?

This is an Echowars restored unit, one of his earlier ones I believe.

That doesn't look like an original pot for that. If you can get a part number off of it you might be able to locate another. An original just sold on the bay (not mine) a month or so back

s-l1600.jpg

The Loudness tap is tied into the pot so when volume is increased, Loudness decreases. Why not get the original fixed? It might be a small repair and save you the serious hassle of finding a replacement.

Edit: are there any numbers on the installed pot? And if so, pics would help.

One w/o loudness: https://www.parts-express.com/alps-...taper-stereo-potentiometer-6mm-shaft--023-200
I haven't found a good way to fix it so far. It doesn't seem to be a problem inside the pot, it appears to be the connection between the solder tab and the trace. I can poke at the wires and make it cut in and out. It isn't just one tab, seems to be a few of them that are troublesome. I've made it work for a while but the issue keeps coming back.

It seems the original pot is unobtanium. ALPS still makes a 50k, 100k and 250k stepped attenuators.

Does anyone know if it's possible to make some changes and use a different potentiometer???

Back
Top Bottom