Kenwood Basic C2 - Help me understand!

Jstorres

I just bought a C2 amp over the weekend in my quest to get back into vinyl. It sounds great but there are things I don't understand. I found the manual from a posting here on AK but I can't make sense of "Turnover" and "Filter" switches. If some one could please look at the attached picture and try to explain this in simple English, I would be very grateful. I am very new to this so any advice helps.

If you own one, what settings do you like? I only want to use you it to listen to records. Also, what would be the best "source" setting I should use.

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• Basic6.jpg
    Basic6.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 91
  • amp.jpg
    amp.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 82
I've got a Basic C2 preamp and love it, especially for its phono preamp. That manual, however, is poorly written/translated, and also contains some errors (e.g. the High filter attenuates frequencies ABOVE 8 KHz, not below).

I suggest you do a little research about preamplifiers in general, so you will understand about tape monitor settings, tone controls, why a phono input is different from other sources, etc. But here are answers to your specific questions:

- Turnover controls set the frequency range that the bass or treble controls will affect. If you set the bass turnover at 200 Hz and turn the bass knob, you will be affecting relatively low frequencies only. If you set the bass turnover to 400 Hz, you're still affecting the bass but the effect will reach higher, affecting the lower midrange as well. Put on some music and just give these settings a try. You will hear the difference. The treble turnover has the same choice: affect just the higher treble, or reach down and affect the upper midrange as well.

The C2's tone controls have a limited range of boost or cut, so you're unlikely to damage anything by playing with them. But keep the volume reasonable and turn things down if you hear any distortion, especially when testing the bass boost.

I almost always have both bass and treble controls set to Off. Once in a while I'll encounter a recording that needs a little fixing to make it listenable (e.g. maybe the top end is shrill so I turn the treble down a bit, just adjusting it by ear).

- The Filter settings are to cut off the lowest or highest sounds.
The Subsonic filter removes sounds so low that you can't hear them, but that can be generated by some records and styli. Those very low frequencies potentially can harm your speakers or at least make your amp work harder than it should. It won't hurt to leave it on, but the more purist approach is to keep the audio signal as unaffected as possible, so I usually leave mine turned off because I don't see that rumble problem in my system.
The Low filter removes the bottom hearable octave or so of sounds. It's like turning the low bass way down. It's rare you'd need to use this, but perhaps for very small speakers that just can't handle much bass signal.
The High filter removes the top octave or so of hearable frequencies. I'd only use that for an old recording with terrible tape hiss, or a badly noisy record. In real life I don't think I've ever used it.

In short, leave all these tone controls off unless there's a specific need to adjust them.

- About source selection: If you're only listening to records, just make sure you have the turntable plugged into the Phono input. Start with the Cartridge control set to MM/47K. You can try the MM/100K setting without hurting anything, too -- that will sound slightly brighter. Use what sounds best to you.

Good luck! Enjoy your C2. It's a fine preamp.

Last edited:
Cnolan - Thanks so much for your help. It is exactly what I was looking for. You have a very good gift of making the complicated easy to understand. Every electronic company should be paying you to write manuals for their customers. I very grateful for your help.

On more question if you don't mind. Should I always have it on "stereo" when I am listening to my albums? Is there ever a good time to switch to "mono".

Thanks again,
Steve

Steve, glad to be of help. 98% of the time I leave the preamp set to stereo. The mono switch is useful for:
- playing back records where the original recording is mono, but has been "electronically reprocessed" into fake stereo. Often those LPs sound better summed to mono.
- cleaning up a noisy FM stereo signal by listening in mono, BUT the tuner should have better controls for this.
- playing back a tape (or other recording) that for whatever reason has audio only in one channel.

There are other uses for it, but with the vast majority of recordings (at least from the 1960s onward) you won't need to switch to mono.

Cheers!

Nolan

Last edited:
Hi, I found a C2 today and have been experimenting with it (only headphones with a KT-7500 as source, so far).

Holy cow, this thing is cool! I'm really impressed initially.

I also bid on some C1s, which I liked due to their variable loudness contour/control but ended up with a C2 - which is fine (better, probably). These preamps go quick! I guess they are popular for good reason.

So I'm curious why the C1 has a variable loudness control and the C2 has an on/off loudness function. Probably has to do with the description of turnover and tone controls above, but I don't understand yet. I wonder why Kenwood engineers decided not to put variable loudness on the C2. The specs below didn't help any.

I am finding that with headphones it's better with loudness off altother, actually.

Just felt like posting to see if other C2 fans have input. Can't wait to connect it to speakers tomorrow. Thanks!

upload_2017-3-4_22-40-41.png

Just a note: I may be wrong but this preamp does not hook up to speakers.
The output goes into an amplifiers' pre-amp in or aux in. Your post seemed
to indicate that. Sorry if I'm wrong.
Enjoy your C2 I have one also. And I like it.

John M

Thanks John!
I did understand that but I appreciate the note! It sounds great through speakers via my Yamaha receiver - so far that's all I've tried. I really like it with headphones too.

Back
Top Bottom