Kenwood C2 No Power After Recap

stu34

First post. I recapped my Kenwood C2 Preamp and after powering it on I get nothing, no lights, no relay click, nothing. I have triple checked all of the caps and they are all in correctly. I used the search and found one person with the same problem, looks like he had the output turned off. Wondering what I need to check and how to check. It was working before the recap and has never had the cover off, I bought it new from Highland App back in 1987, still have my receipt. I used the kit from the internet. I checked the factory solders while I was recapping and they looked good. I also know that it is not the cord, touched the red and white plugs while it was plugged in, felt a tingle, won't do that again. Any ideas on what to check first? Also note that I would not even call myself a newbie, I am learning as I go. Thanks for any and all help.
Michael

The first thing would be to double-check or triple-check every point you touched/worked on while replacing the caps. If it worked before re-capping then why it doesn't work after recapping would seem related to something in or around the areas where you worked.

I got it. I unsolder the power supply caps and resolder them, tested it and it is working. I also found 3 transistors that had cold solder from the factory and took care of them. Should have waited until today to finish it as I was way to tired and most have gotten sloppy with my soldering. Thank you for all of your help.

Glad you fixed that one. I just saw this thread. These are notorious for cold solder joints. Get a high power magnifying glass of some kind and check all the solder joints especially the ones around the input / output RCA/Phono connectors M8's !

Back
Top Bottom